Cervix positions - not for the squeamish

26/01/2008 at 14:53
This is a bit embarrassing and almost certainly tmi but if I can't dicuss this here, where can I, so here we go.

Hadn't given a second thought to what the cervix feels like since before this ttc lark, but I had a feel up there a few days ago to see if I could make head or tail of the whole "soft, high, open, wet" versus "low, firm, closed" thing and got a real shock. There was what felt like a hard, er, protuberence not very far up at all. At first I panicked, but I had a smear just a few months ago so pretty sure it can't be anything nasty.

Subsequent examinations yesterday & today have led me to believe that this is actually my cervix - which makes sense, as in theory I'm due AF any time. It just doesn't feel like I imagined it would! - it feels more like there's a poo waiting in the other passage!! (sorry girls, I did say it was tmi). [By the way it's NOT a poo.]

Whenever I've had a feel previously I've not been able to notice anything at all, and just assumed the cervix opening was too far up to feel. Perhaps I've only ever examined at fertile times before now?

Anyone do this and have any advice or observations?
26/01/2008 at 15:29
hey honey, im stacey,. i just read your message and whilst it made me laugh i have to admit to having a poke around alot lol. i too wondered about positioning and stuff lol. im due today and nothing so far!!! so lets hope. i dont think it will happen cos OH only has 5 % sperm working, weve been trying for 15 months now. so severely hoping. anyway back to our convo, i had to have a feel again after reading this and i cant feel anything apart form a small ball like thing high up is this normal do you think?
lol sorry tmi.

eagerly waiting for our little bundle in november 2012 !!! after 2 cycles of icsi !!!!

26/01/2008 at 15:40
Ok i hate to admit but i have had a feel around too. When i was pg i could feel my cervix quite clearly (i had never knowingly felt it before then) and now after a mc i cant really feel it. This might sound gross but the only way i can explain is it feels a lot more open now that im not pg. I dont know if it helps. I googled it but tbh its all really confusing!!!
26/01/2008 at 16:32
hmmm might have a go? no idea where my cervix is or how its supposed to feel thought it was too far up as when pg looked like mw would lose an arm when firkling! can anyone explain how supposed to feel at certain times? x
26/01/2008 at 16:33
just read post back and just to confirm I DO know where cervix is just not felt it before lol!!!
26/01/2008 at 17:40
Hi, i must say i've not got that far yet but i've got a book called Taking Charge of your fertility by Toni Weschler and it goes well into detail about how you go about this and what it should feel like. So happy finding out!!!

26/01/2008 at 18:17
I have thought about doing this but to be honest i always forget!! :roll:

On the few occasions i have it feels like the tip of a nose and is only a couple of cm inside.

Think i might add this to my list of things to do this month though!! Obviously when AF does one!! heehee
I have read that (once you get familiar with it) it is the best way of knowing what your cycle is doing!
26/01/2008 at 18:27
sorry - way too squeamish for me!!!! :lol:

think I'll stick to the ov sticks
27/01/2008 at 04:51
Noooooo!!! I blame you lot for the frankly quite disturbing website I saw last night, after googling for cervix positions!!

I'm NOT posting it because it is awful - especially for a Sunday morning!

(If you are really eager - it was something to do with Sister Zeus)
27/01/2008 at 07:51
i always check cervical mucus and position. It lets me know when Ov is approaching and then i double check with sticks. Quite reliable, even if it hasn't worked yet. This is a natural way and free to check times of cycle. Good luck to all this month and babydust. Filo x
27/01/2008 at 07:55
*shudders*
27/01/2008 at 07:59
yes but if it works would you consider it? Filo x
27/01/2008 at 08:31
Hahaha, thanks for the replies and sorry to those who wished they'd never clicked on the post!

Stacey - what you describe sounds like a slightly higher, softer version of what I was trying to describe, so think we can both assume that this is the cervix at different points in the cycle. Good luck for this month!

Rose Red - yes, it does feel like a nose, doesn't it! And mine is also quite low down as you describe. I was amazed I'd never noticed it before, and can definitely see how once you know what you're looking for it's a good way of knowing where you're at with your cycle.

Hayleys1, apparently this is how the cervix should feel at diffrerent times of the month:

"At the beginning of the menstrual cycle the cervix will be almost closed, sit low in the vaginal canal and feel firm to the touch. This positioning is indicative of an infertile stage of the cycle and is due to higher levels of the hormone progesterone in the body.

As oestrogen levels rise through the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle and ovulation approaches, the cervix becomes progressively softer to the touch, the opening to the cervix will increase in size and the cervix will move to a higher position in the vaginal canal. If fertalisation does not occur then the cervix will return to its low, closed position through the latter half of the menstrual cycle."
27/01/2008 at 14:14
Hi guys!
I've only tried once or twice - and thought I have no bloody idea - after all I've not had an a/f for over 100 days now - so not sure where abouts in the cycle I am!
Just wondering - does it matter what position you get into to check??? Eg leg on a chair or squatting?

I really have no idea do i???? LOL!!!

M

XXX

27/01/2008 at 15:54
Ive just copied this information off another site

hope it helps

Part 3: Cervical Position
excerpted from When Sex Isn't Enough

The third fertility sign, and probably the most evasive, is the cervical position. Checking the cervical position is not highly recommended because of the fact that an outside force is invading the otherwise clean area of the vagina. I recommend it because it helps me to know when ovulation is about to occur and tells me when it has definitely occurred. It can also give clues as to whether pregnancy has been achieved or not.

Checking the cervical position takes some practice and if you choose to chart this particular sign, there are some smart guidelines you must follow in order to achieve the best results. First and foremost, wash your hands thoroughly before checking the cervix. A good time to check it would be after a bath or shower. It would probably be a good idea to keep your nails trimmed as well, so as not to nick the fragile tissue. There are different ways in which to check the cervical position. Sitting on the toilet or squatting or standing with one leg on the edge of the bathtub are good positions to be in. Gently insert one or two fingers into the vagina. Feel for the cervix - located in the upper front or top. It usually takes a month or so to see all the changes in the cervix during the cycle.

During the beginning of the cycle, the menstrual bleeding, the cervix is normally low and hard and slightly open to allow the blood flow out. It feels like the tip of your nose. I normally don't check it during menstruation, simply because of the mess. After the bleeding stops the cervix remains low and hard and the os - the opening to the uterus - remains closed. This will change the closer to ovulation you approach. The cervix rises up to the top of the vagina and becomes softer and softer. At the height of ovulation the cervix feels more like your lips than your nose and the os are open to allow sperm to enter in. Sometimes the cervix seems to disappear - which, of course, it has simply become so soft it blends in with the vagina walls and rises so high that the finger cannot touch it. This is known as SHOW - soft, high, open and wet.

The time frame for this to happen varies from woman to woman. Each woman is unique and must give herself several cycles to determine when events take place. Sometimes ovulation will start to happen and the cervix will rise and soften and then ovulation will be delayed for some reason. I have noticed that my own cervix seems to see-saw at different points - but in acquainting yourself with all your fertile signs - you learn how to recognize each one of them.

Once ovulation occurs the cervix drops to low and firm - once again feeling like the tip of your nose. And the os become tightly closed. (The os in a woman who has given birth vaginally will feel more open at all times because of the stretching that occurred at the birth of her baby.) This can happen right away after ovulation to several hours to several days. Again, each woman is unique and needs to find these things out over a several month time frame.

When pregnancy occurs, the cervix will rise up and become soft, yet the os will remain tightly closed. This occurs at different times in different women. Some women may find that twelve days after ovulation their cervix will do this and is a probable pregnancy sign. Others won't experience this until well after the pregnancy has been confirmed.

When checking the cervix - use caution - always clean your hands and try not to do this too often - the cervix can sometimes become easily irritated. If you don't feel comfortable charting this sign, then don't do it. And give yourself a month or two to acquaint yourself with the different changes the cervix goes through during the cycle.

website http://www.beyondfertility.com/art3.htm

Take Care
27/01/2008 at 15:54
Ive just copied this information off another site

hope it helps

Part 3: Cervical Position
excerpted from When Sex Isn't Enough

The third fertility sign, and probably the most evasive, is the cervical position. Checking the cervical position is not highly recommended because of the fact that an outside force is invading the otherwise clean area of the vagina. I recommend it because it helps me to know when ovulation is about to occur and tells me when it has definitely occurred. It can also give clues as to whether pregnancy has been achieved or not.

Checking the cervical position takes some practice and if you choose to chart this particular sign, there are some smart guidelines you must follow in order to achieve the best results. First and foremost, wash your hands thoroughly before checking the cervix. A good time to check it would be after a bath or shower. It would probably be a good idea to keep your nails trimmed as well, so as not to nick the fragile tissue. There are different ways in which to check the cervical position. Sitting on the toilet or squatting or standing with one leg on the edge of the bathtub are good positions to be in. Gently insert one or two fingers into the vagina. Feel for the cervix - located in the upper front or top. It usually takes a month or so to see all the changes in the cervix during the cycle.

During the beginning of the cycle, the menstrual bleeding, the cervix is normally low and hard and slightly open to allow the blood flow out. It feels like the tip of your nose. I normally don't check it during menstruation, simply because of the mess. After the bleeding stops the cervix remains low and hard and the os - the opening to the uterus - remains closed. This will change the closer to ovulation you approach. The cervix rises up to the top of the vagina and becomes softer and softer. At the height of ovulation the cervix feels more like your lips than your nose and the os are open to allow sperm to enter in. Sometimes the cervix seems to disappear - which, of course, it has simply become so soft it blends in with the vagina walls and rises so high that the finger cannot touch it. This is known as SHOW - soft, high, open and wet.

The time frame for this to happen varies from woman to woman. Each woman is unique and must give herself several cycles to determine when events take place. Sometimes ovulation will start to happen and the cervix will rise and soften and then ovulation will be delayed for some reason. I have noticed that my own cervix seems to see-saw at different points - but in acquainting yourself with all your fertile signs - you learn how to recognize each one of them.

Once ovulation occurs the cervix drops to low and firm - once again feeling like the tip of your nose. And the os become tightly closed. (The os in a woman who has given birth vaginally will feel more open at all times because of the stretching that occurred at the birth of her baby.) This can happen right away after ovulation to several hours to several days. Again, each woman is unique and needs to find these things out over a several month time frame.

When pregnancy occurs, the cervix will rise up and become soft, yet the os will remain tightly closed. This occurs at different times in different women. Some women may find that twelve days after ovulation their cervix will do this and is a probable pregnancy sign. Others won't experience this until well after the pregnancy has been confirmed.

When checking the cervix - use caution - always clean your hands and try not to do this too often - the cervix can sometimes become easily irritated. If you don't feel comfortable charting this sign, then don't do it. And give yourself a month or two to acquaint yourself with the different changes the cervix goes through during the cycle.

website http://www.beyondfertility.com/art3.htm

Take Care
27/01/2008 at 16:06
yes but if it works would you consider it? Filo x

nope - sorry! I'm not one for bodily fluids and stuff and don't fancy the thought of sticking me fingers in and having a rummage round!!!
27/01/2008 at 16:07
Well when you put it like that SB i dont think i will be doing it again!!!!!
27/01/2008 at 16:15
I 2nd u Saint Bertie I would love to want to do it but I really cant do it so I may have to do it with OV stick etc xx
27/01/2008 at 16:50
well i have had a shufty around (hahahah, sounds so bad!! ) and have ended up more confused, so hopefully you regular feelers can help!!

i can feel the "nose" feeling but that is on the back wall, like the side that is nearer my back (if that makes sence) is this the right thing?? as i cant feel anything remotly nose like on the front. However, i am supposedly oving tmrw so if i am feeling the nose thing on the right wall then have i missed my ov?? or will it just get soft and go up tmrw?? or, if its the other wall where i couldnt feel anything (the "front") does that mean i am oving?? i think i am more confused now!!!