what does a 1st 2nd 3rd degree tear mean?

19/09/2008 at 09:22
hi im expecting my first baby and just wondered what a 1st 2nd 3rd degree tear means, and with an episiotomy is that when they cut u open? which way to they cut?towards the front or back?soz im just wondering...

ashy xx
19/09/2008 at 16:36
Hi Ashy, you naughty girl looking in the traumatic birth forum remember that all births are different!

I copied this from the World Health Organisation website for you, its sounds a bit technical but you should get the jist of it!

Sometimes during childbirth you may tear without having an episiotomy.

Repair of vaginal and perineal tears

There are four degrees of tears that can occur during delivery:

First degree tears involve the vaginal mucosa and connective tissue.

Second degree tears involve the vaginal mucosa, connective tissue and underlying muscles.

Third degree tears involve complete transection of the anal sphincter.

Fourth degree tears involve the rectal mucosa.

When you have an episitomy you will be cut but you will be cut an angle so the cut is directed away from you bum so you'll have less chance of tearing near there.

Pls pls pls dont worry though just be prepared for the unexpected- you may have a wonderful 7hr labour with need for a bit of gas and air and give birth to a gorgeous 7lb baby. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and hope ive helped a bit xxx

20/02/2009 at 10:52
I had a 3rd degree tear and an episiotomy and i did not feel it happen at the time - do not worry!
I also had no pain relief during labour!
05/04/2009 at 16:23
dont worry, im a winp (im a nurse and we are the worse!) and i had a 3rd degree tear, nurse kept appologising but i didnt have a clue why! My birth was wonderful, ive been threatedned with a c sec next time, but not if i can help it! relax....
Your say
email image