What baby toiletries do I need?

14/10/2007 at 17:06
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a vanity case from Mamas & Papas and now I need to start to fill it, but I am not sure what toiletries I need for the baby and what I don't need. There seems to be so many things, soaps, softwash, shampoo, bubble bath, oils, lotions, creams!!! I don't think I need all this stuff but what bits of it do I need? Can anyone help? :\?
15/10/2007 at 04:48
Hiya,

I was recently bought a lovely mama and papas bag that was filled with -Johnson
Baby soap
Shampoo
Talc
Baby oil
Baby Lotion
Baby Wipes

Sudo Cream
Muslim Squares
Nappies
Nappy sacks
Dummies
A little outfit
A little teddy

But since then I have been to my antenatal class and we were advised that we should only be using water on new borns for the first 6 months or olive oil (if needed) as most products dry out the skin . I am not sure how practical this is going to be when I go out, so going to try and stick to it when at home.

Hope that this helps..

Hx 39+6
15/10/2007 at 06:41
i just use a johnsons top to toe wash. but only now, i think she was just washed with water for first 2/3 months. also vaseline for her bottom if needed. thats it!!
15/10/2007 at 07:23
Hi,
You just use water and cotton wool balls when you are topping and tailing (wiping the baby's face and bottom). Try to just buy the things you will need immediately; easier said than done, I know! I am guilty of buying a set of hooded towels (they were in the Mothercare sale...) and my baby isn't due until March!

Hope this helps,

Nessy
15/10/2007 at 07:48
I've also had strict instructions from quite a few people not to use any products apart from when shampooing baby's hair as using products in the water can iritate baby's skin. I know my nephew had really bad exzma and my sister coundn't use anything.

i know I'll be using olive oil and also porrige oats (scrunched in a bit of muslin) and swished around in the water as it is really good for moisturisinf dry skin.
15/10/2007 at 08:46
Both mine had eczema so was only water and oilatum for mine!

You get sensitive wipes now and they are so much easier than cotton wool and water!! Cotton wool tends to stick especially if you are cleaning a poo bottom. Both mine had loads of hair too so when I shampood thier hair I just rinsed into the bath and the soap (oilatum) from their hair was enought to clean them.
15/10/2007 at 14:38
Thanks everyone, cotton wool and water sounds much easier (and cheaper) than a pile of baby toiletries!!! Now I am thinking that I don't need a vanity case to hold that!! But it will be helpful later on I suppose and will be good to keep nappies and other bits in!
15/10/2007 at 16:11
I am expecting my third and although hv doesn't advise on anything in bath I always used a tiny bit of baby bath just so they smelled nice and a wee bit of baby lotion round the wee bottom to keep it fresh-never done mine any harm!!
15/10/2007 at 17:24
My lo is nearly 14 weeks and i bath her everyday. I use Johnsons baby shampoo and Johnsons baby softwash.
I use water and cotton wool to wash her face.
When she gets out the bath i use Johnsons baby powder.

I use Johnsons baby wipes - they are the best smelling ones!! and Pampers nappies. I always use sudacream too.

For newborns i found that pampers newborn were much better than the huggies. The huggies were tiny!!
Asda nappy sacks are a great buy too!!
I bought things when they were on offer when i was pregnant!! its well worth it!!
15/10/2007 at 17:32
i used boots sensitive skin top to toe wash from a couple of weeks or so. it's suitable for eczema and dry skin. used olive oil after his bath for massage and now use johnsons shampoo for his hair thats it x.
15/10/2007 at 18:20
I had my antenatal class last week was also advised not to use any products at all for at least a month if not longer. Baby powder is also bad for newborns because they can inhale the powder if its in the air. I'm fine about not using shampoo/bodywash etc but i did wonder about not using wipes for changing nappy when out and about - its not as if youre gonna get a bowl of water and cotton wool balls out in public is it?!! We were also recommended olive oil (tiny bit) if needed and just bog standard aqueous cream if babys got a sore bum.
Its quite scary what goes in the baby products if you look at the back - there was a telly programme on last week about make up and it mentioned wipe (huggies ones) that contained formaldehyde and a chemical used in fertilisers - scary or what!
Your say
email image