Too many scans during early pregnancy?

25/01/2010 at 05:43
Hi ladies,

I had a private scan last Tuesday (I was dated 6+5 at the scan) and we saw the heartbeat etc and all seemed fine, but since then I have lost my symptoms. I have been worrying about it and I'm desperate to know all is okay with our beanie.

I had an awful day yesterday just worrying about it, and spent quite a bit of the morning crying with worry, and I decided that I wanted to go for another private scan to put my mind at ease, as if I see that even with no symptoms now all is fine, then I can just relax.

However, when I posted this in the due in Sept forum, someone said their EPU said not to have too frequent scans in early pregnancy due to the dangers of the heat from the ultrasound.

Has anyone else received advice like this? The scan company didn't seem worried that I'd had a scan last Tuesday (I've actually booked one for tonight), and I did call our local EPU who said they do scan people with a weeks gap if need be.

We won't be having a very long scan, and we will just check everything is okay and then that's it. I've read some info online that says the internal temperature can rise during an ultrasound by 1C at the most, and the dangerous limit for overheating is 4C+ in pregnancy.

Would be really interested to hear your views, as if everything is okay then we don't want to put our bean at risk.

Thanks,
Kat xx
7+4
25/01/2010 at 05:52
Hi - I'm gatecrashing!

Just to say I was poorly during my pregnancy and I had LOADS of scans in those early weeks - first I had bleeding, so had two scans by 7 weeks, then I had hyperemesis and when I was in hospital I had scans more than once a week to check all was OK until 18 weeks, then one every 3 weeks until 37 weeks...

Daisy is now 10 months old and there is not a thing wrong with her!

Hope this helps to settle your mind - try not to worry and try to relax...

C xx

Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get... xx
25/01/2010 at 06:24
I hate to sound harsh hun but u need to stop panicking over not having any symptoms. Most women don't. Unless you have SEVERE cramping or any bleeding thats when you need to see ur GP. Worrying isn't goin to help ur little bean either so try and relax hun xxx
25/01/2010 at 06:30
I haven't had no symptoms, I had symptoms and they have disappeared and that's what my worry is. If I had no symptoms from the start then I'd not worry!

Anyway, I know I'm a worrier, I'm more trying to get some advice on scans really.

Thanks for your response MrsButtons, that's reassuring to know.

xx
25/01/2010 at 06:34
I think the scans will be fine hun. Go and get some peace of mind x They would tell you if it wasn't safe.

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/gaV9p2.png

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/kdY4p2.png

25/01/2010 at 06:52
I just called them again and they said they only recommend multiple scans if something is wrong as too many scans can be a bad thing. They said they would probably turn someone away for a 3rd scan if there wasn't a good reason.

Because of this I've decided that if there is any risk, however minute, I can't take it just to reassure me, so I've cancelled the scan.

I've booked it for a few weeks time so there is a bigger gap, but I'll see how I feel nearer the time and might potentially cancel that one too.

Thanks for your responses everyone, I'm feeling a bit happier now I've cancelled so I feel like I'm going the right thing xx
25/01/2010 at 07:10
hey KP - try not to worry hun - i know it's really scary and i couldn't relax (despite an early scan) until i got to about 10wks - the 12wk scan is like a massive weight off your shoulders

i think the reason they dont advise too many scans is that they just DONT KNOW if it can have a bad effect. it's the usual problem that they can't "experiment" and run trials on pregnant women so they don't really have a "threshold" of safety when it comes to ultrasound exposure
although i guess in early pregnancy the baby is much more susceptible to things

glad to hear you're feeling a bit better about it though
25/01/2010 at 07:31
Hey hun,

I know it's really hard not to worry. I was the same!! Up a & e everytime I thought there was a problem. I didn't have any symptoms and really worried constantly but am very pleased to say everything was fine!
I used to take HPT about every other day until I was 11 weeks pregnant to make sure they were still positive!

I'm sure everything is fine but the first 12 weeks is very stressful! I'm not gonna say try not to worry cos it's impossible and I'd be a hypocrite. I spent days crying just out of worry so know how you feel. Good luck, let us know how things are xxx
25/01/2010 at 07:45
Hiya,
My LO is 7 months now, but I had a very difficult pregnancy. We had scans every week-2 weeks to monitor her. They said that the risk to the baby was minimal compared with the risk of the mother worrying. (and may I say that apart from inheriting my poor immune system, our daughter is strong and healthy) Stress during pregnancy can apparently affect the baby. I think postponing it so there is at least a week between scans is a good idea, and if you are no longer worried, then fair enough that you don't want to take the risk. But if you are still concerned then I think it's a good idea to have the scan to put your mind at rest. Hope this helps.
25/01/2010 at 08:33
i had loads of scans in the early weeks with my youngest lol, he's now a very healthy happy 2 yr old.

i had one at 5 weeks, another at 6, another at 7 another at 8, then i had them every 2 weeks until 14 wks, anomaly scan at 20wks, cervical lengthening scans at 22, 24, 26 and 28 wks. the nhs certainly wouldn't have given me that many if it was going to cause me harm, (may i also add that this pregnancy occured 3 months after a miscariiage), xxxx
02/02/2010 at 10:02
I think one of the reasons they do not like to do scans too close together is because it can panic people if there is litle change or growth. You need a good week in between to assess growth and development if these are an issue of concern.
02/02/2010 at 10:17
I had three scans in first trimester due to bleeding, and pain, and another at 17weeks to measure my cervix, and have a 20 week one coming up. A consultant obstetrician who trains all the people in our district to do ultrasounds did the 17 week scan. I checked with her about the risk of scans. She told me that when she was pregnant with her first daughter she scanned herself every two nights in the on call room while she was waiting for calls. And her daughter is fine. She was really clear with me that there has never been any real evidence that this causes harm. Best wishes honxxx

mummy to little Lady T, a girl who knows her own mind
02/02/2010 at 11:12
yes i have also read that too many unnecessary scans is not recommended. saying that, due to previous chem preg and mc and as i was about to start clomid for pcos, i had a scan at 5+4 to check baby was in the right place. i had a follow up scan to see heartbeat and date at 8+4, so my 12 wk scan was cancelled. so i went private at 12+2! each one i had my heart in my mouth until we saw it was ok. i had the anomaly scan at 20 wks. i was wanting a 4d scan but we havent as i have already had 4.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/5kMi.png

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

02/02/2010 at 12:15
the scans will be fine dear, the only reason epu leave it a week between scans is so there is a notable growth and development difference in the baby. if there was any danger to baby they wld not be doing it. i think if u hda a scan every day for 3 or 4 weeks then possibly this cld begin to be problamatic but having 2 early scans is not going to be a problem....if the 1???? temp rise was a problem then u wld be advised not to bathe or shower...altho saying this hot baths or showrs and saunas/hot tubs are not recommended in pregnancy but that is a temp rise of 4/5????+. hth xx

Austin 21/3/09 Phoebe 13/12/10
02/02/2010 at 13:55
I have had 6 scans up to now - 6, 8, 10, 12, 18 & 20 weeks and I am not at all worried - they were all done at the same hospital and if there were any concerns at all they wouldn't have done so many. And I know women with difficult pgs have lots more. I found the scans really reassuring following a MMC - if they help you to be calm and relaxed then I would go for it

Ruth xxx
30+5

02/02/2010 at 15:00
Try not to worry about a lack of symptoms, some of my friends never had any and went on to have perfect babies. I found mine came and went every so often and to be honest, it was a relief when they went!
02/02/2010 at 15:45
Thanks for all of your responses.

Just thought I'd let you know that I had another scan yesterday and I was put forwards 4 days so I'm now 9+2! The lady doing the scan didn't keep the scanner still for very long as she knew we'd had one earlier on, but it was great to know everything was okay.

It's tripled in size in the past 13 days and had a lovely strong heartbeat, so I'm thoroughly reassured! xx
02/02/2010 at 16:20
That's brill MrsKP its good to see even if just for a wee second! xx
06/02/2013 at 22:39

hi,

i ama worried mum ,my problem is vey complicated  a cording to my last period my preg is 8 weeks ,and i had to see midwife for the first time in 15 feb ,but what happened three days ago  i started to bleeding till know ,Although my blood is very little ,with little pain all the time ,after that i had a scan in hospital but  theycould not see any heartbeat and they told me ,either my baby is miscarried or still very small under six weeks ,

My another scan will be after one week ,and the same day theydid2 kind of scans for me and now i am too much worry i can not eat ,sleep or relax about these 2 scan and about  my preg age my last period was in 11 of December

hope you can help me

many thanks   RUNAK

Your say
email image