Stretch and Sweep

27/06/2007 at 11:51
Hi ladies, I had my first stretch and sweep today and although my cervix was still quite high, It was soft and 1cm dilated.

I just wondered how many people it has worked for and how long it took to get things started?

Cheers,

Emma 41 weeks xx
27/06/2007 at 12:15
Hi Emma..

I had a sweep with my son and unfortunately didnt work,..so they went ahead with induction..
However saw my MW yday and said if its going to work, it will normally within 24hrs...
so i have one booked for 2nd july

hope something happens soon

jade x

27/06/2007 at 12:23
Thanks Jade, when are u due? x
27/06/2007 at 12:42
I was due on the 25th of june...

just really fed up now, have really bad back pain, so exhausted bad period pain, but no contractions lol
I did ask MW yday if I could have a sweep that day but she said I need to be atleast 41wks..( i dnt see why)...
If i was you Id have a really hot curry for dinner, pineapple for pudding and lovely warm bath and sex to top it off and see if that works...
saying that Ive been doing all the above for past wk with no joy lol

jade xx
27/06/2007 at 13:58
Hi Em
When i had my first son i had a show and backache, the mw checked and like you i was 1 cm so she did a sweep, this was 9pm and by 3am i was in labour but only 3cm so you could be on your way pretty soon.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Nic
27/06/2007 at 14:33
Cheers girls, I'll keep going with the pineapple/curry and sex! But like u Jade, have been trying all this since 39 weeks! x
28/06/2007 at 13:56
Well it hasn't seemed to have worked, so am going for my second sweep tomorrow...ouch!

28/06/2007 at 14:08
Awwww! what a shame, Good luck for tomorrow! Try going for a walk after your sweep and keep as active as poss, i went up and down stairs hundreds of times lol
28/06/2007 at 17:53
Hi Nic, I'll try that after the sweep!

Cheers x
28/06/2007 at 18:01
Hi Emma...

Sorry to hear it hasnt worked this time...hopefully tomorrows might give it a lil jiggle...
have you had any braxton hicks since your period and back pain?....
Ive been having weird pains today (aswell as period pain) and dnt really know if theyre contractins or not they r regular for a few hrs then wears off till later...
Think i might brave the castor oil and OJ 2moro..

let us know how you get on at the MW 2moro
good luck
jade xxx
29/06/2007 at 04:34
Hi Jade, yes I've been having a few braxton hicks pains, but like u, also a few other strange pains that fade off!
I'm having my sweep done at 12, so hopefully that'll work. Not looking forward to it though! x
29/06/2007 at 05:21
Hi Ems,

Bloody hell, I really feel for you! I have a strange feeling that my lo is gonna be as naughty as yours and have no intention of making a decently timed appearance.....not even asking for an early just a decent one :roll:

Hopefully I'll get my sweep next wednesday (if the little bugger complies with moving his head back down to where it was last week). I'd really really love it to work so I can give birth on OH's birthday on Thursday.

I have my fingers crossed for you that the sweep today will kick things off!

Good luck mate
Eva xx
29/06/2007 at 05:33
I think I'm going to cry! This is all so unfair - my hospital won't do the stetch and sweep till Tuesday next week when i'll be 40+12 and then they induce 2 days later if it doesn't work. To make it worse, I had really strong, but not painful braxton hicks all day yesterday, every 10 mins, then, when I went to bed, they started turning into proper contractions that got more frequent and stronger until they were 3 -4 mns apart and hurting quite a lot! I was thinking Great! This is it! I had showered and was all ready to wake my oh up to toddle off to hospital when they slowed down and eased off at about 3.30am! I fell asleep and when I woke up at 7am I hoped they might start up again, but no! I even did the washing up to see if that would get things moving again, but still nothing! I'm so frustrated, I'm going to wake my oh up in a bit and make him take me shopping for clothes that won't fit me at the moment.

And where the h*ll has my avatar gone?!?!?!
29/06/2007 at 05:36
Oh Katy - you aint had yours either yet!!! Flippin hell, was yours a boy to by any chance???

PS: 40+12?!!! erm......do you mean 42wks :roll:
29/06/2007 at 05:43
The exact same thing happened to me a few nights ago! I started with pains at about 9pm, every 15 mins, then 10 mins, went to bed but was woken up at 2am with the pains, I was so excited that I went and shaved my legs and bits ready to go to hospital! (sad I know) I lay down, next thing it was 7am and the pains had gone!!! So frustrating!!!x
29/06/2007 at 07:56
The midwife couldn't do my membrame sweep!!!!!!! The head was too far down and she said that I would be very uncomfortable if she had attempted it. Am disappointed, but am booked in for an induction on Sunday if nothing happens before x
02/01/2013 at 16:03
20/08/2013 at 19:19

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and my Dr has said that next week (38 weeks) she will be attempting my first stretch and sweep. I have had problems up to this point and they were talking about an early induction. So I'm really hoping the sweep works so I can avoid an induction using meds. .. Question though, what type of pain am I looking at after?

Edited: 20/08/2013 at 19:34
20/08/2013 at 23:58

I honestly didn't feel a thing during or after it! Just walked in (or waddled) and back out 10mins later, got home, had sex and boom! Contractions started that night good luck! Xx

Lots of love! Amy xxx

Isabella born 16/06/11 9:24am 6lbs 15oz xxx

Yellow bean E.D.D 02.05.2014

http://FertilityFriend.com/home/4689a0/

28/08/2013 at 09:49
Your say
email image