Really Bad Stomach Pains At 20 Weeks

25/07/2007 at 07:36
A couple of weeks ago I got woke up at 7am with terribl;e stomach cramps. They almost reduced me to tears. I was really worried until she started kicking. I asked my health visitor who then confirmed with my midwife that it could of been because of sex or just because my stomach is stretching inside. Just wanted to know if anyone else had anything similiar to this because i'm still quite worried xx
25/07/2007 at 08:00
Hello love,

I had really bad pains in both my previous pregnancies if I did too much exercise. I often wondered if I had strained a belly ligament or something. For example at 40+3 with my last pregnancy I took my daughter on a bouncy castle. We spent just over two hours jumping in there and I could hardly walk afterwards. I would have thought it would bring on labour, but no I just felt like I had spent two hours being clubbed with a big stick. My sister in law had sharp pain and alot of cramping when things where moving along her bowels. Due to things being squished. She had a healthy little boy, it was just hard on her. Definately go to your doctor though, always better to be on the safe side.

[Modified by: abeasley on July 25, 2007 01:01 PM]
CLC
Gold member
25/07/2007 at 10:24
Hi,

I used to get really bad stomach pains in my 1st pregnancy and that happened after I had sex - in the end it got that bad that OH was banned from coming near me lol!

I have read since being pregnant this time that pains after sex can be braxton hicks as sex causes your uterus to contract - appartently!

Hope this helps xx.
25/07/2007 at 10:30
hi im 21wks and still having pains in tummy according to my midwife and consultant although your pregnant your body still gets cramps as if its still going to have a period although it isnt and i have been experiencing very heavy feeling in base of tummy just above pubic bone mw says its body stretching so god knows x
Silver member
25/07/2007 at 11:47
I had really bad pains when I was 21 weeks, went the hospital in the middle of the night because I was so concerned. And there was another woman there who was 21 weeks and she had came because of exactly the same problem, and the midwife did tests etc. and it was just that as the baby grows my insides were stretching and moving and causing the pain. It is right to be concerned but I'm sure it is just normal. xxxx
02/09/2007 at 08:39
I've had stomach pains all day, so it was a relief to read these posts!
I'm 21 weeks too...so I'm sure it is just growing pains.
I can't remember having them when I was pregnant with my son...but then you forget about all the pregnant niggles!!
02/09/2007 at 12:49
I have had period like pains through out my pg. Apparently our body contiues to have a cycle?! However i think the pains you are referring to are brackson hicks-this is what my MW told me when i had them at 20 weeks. It was quite scary. My stomach went rock solid, i could move it and does feel like bad cramps. Some people say 20 weeks is too early for BH but this is rubbish. Every1 is different and we have them from 8 weeks, you just dont normally feel them. My yoga teacher says that Bh are worse than the real thing. I hope shes right!
02/09/2007 at 13:43
I had pain so bad at 19wks I ended up going to the EPU at my hospital just to get checked out, it was ligaments stretching, but after having 2 previous mc I didn't want to take any chances.x
10/06/2012 at 08:38

I have the worst cramps every single night and it takes 2-5 hours to go away.  I use loads of ice packs to numb the area the best I can.  It's been freaking me out, but when I told my doctor she acted like it was normal.  I donno but I have one child already and this never happened with him.......

22/10/2012 at 15:04
very helpfull
Edited: 09/12/2012 at 09:26
18/11/2012 at 20:20

no matter what kind of pain you have it is always better to get it checked out i had pains before and turned out to be miscarriage and i so have pains in this pregnancy been to hospital a few times i said i had a infection which they gave me tablets for its better to be safe then sorry

09/12/2012 at 09:24

drinking too much fluid at mealtimes – finally, it’s not always what you eat, but what you drink that causes stomach pain after eating. if you fill your stomach with lots of fluids during a meal, it inhibits the digestive process because e?cess fluids dilute stomach acids needed to process your food. this can lead to discomfort and temporary to stomach problems.

30/12/2012 at 04:00
13/01/2013 at 11:09
04/06/2013 at 01:43

I am 24weeks pregnant and me and my fiancé just had sex for the first time in a week I didn't think we were being to rough but it's possible but anyways these horrible pains won't stop there right were my babys feet are but he ain't kicking them around I didn't know if this was normal bc I've had little pains thruout my pregnancy but these are way worst ughhhh I don't even want to touch my stomach !!!

16/06/2013 at 00:22

hi im @ 28 weeks and ive been having pains in my stomach too,but the doctor said not to worry its just the baby kicking! i had no clue cause this is my first , so i was just concerned,even if this is your first dont think its anything in concern!

21/07/2013 at 12:59

Hi im 18 weeks 5 days with my 3rd baby. At 14 weeks I was already beginning to feel movement and then at 15 weeks I woke up with my lower abdomen (uterus) was rock hard then started getting severe pains there where i couldn't move and crying and would last all day and night but not on the sides so I know its not the growing pains and also back pain. Went to the drs and did tests and an ultrasound and everything looked fine but im not convinced because I heard about placenta abruption and I have all the symptoms ( except bleeding thank god) which ultrasounds can't detect. Has any one had placenta abruption does these sound like the same symptoms? ? Thanks if anyone can help - worried mummy

21/08/2013 at 05:46
09/09/2013 at 21:43
14/09/2013 at 03:14
Had a plecenta abruption with my first and yes those are symptoms but if it had torn or detached there would be lack of fluid in ultrasound or some sign most likely. If it had abrupted you'd know it. Worst pain in the world and most times you have a limited amount of time to have a emergency c section after before things go terribly bad. If doctors suspected it at all you'd be but on bed rest and watched close. They know what there doing if they say its ok then I'm sure it is