perineal oil

31/08/2010 at 12:26
Hi Girls

I have been reading about perineal massage at about 32 weeks onwards in pregnancy, i'm gonna give it a go but wondered what the best perineal massage oil is at the cheapest price, I don't want to spend a fourtune.

I hear you can use anything from vegetable oil or oilve oil to pure vitamin e oil or coconut oil, or proper perineal massage gel or oil.

What would you reccomend??
31/08/2010 at 12:29
i would suggest u use sunflower oil or almond oil, or the like, very gentle on the skin (sunflower oil is supposed to eb the closest to the oil ur skin naturally produces so the least likely to give a reaction) i certainly wouldn't bother with specfic perinieal massage oils. hth x

Austin 21/3/09 Phoebe 13/12/10
31/08/2010 at 12:41
I've been using sunflower oil and find that works well. I found olive oil irritated my skin a bit, admittedly it was extra virgin so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

If I was you I'd not start it until about 34 weeks, I started at 34 weeks and I'm now 39+1 and getting a bit fed up of it to be honest - at least you're likely to keep it up if you start it a bit later on.

I've not been able to do it myself either, as it's just impossible to reach there so my hubby has to do it - glamarous eh! x
31/08/2010 at 12:42
I just used regular olive oil - did the job for me, no perineal tears thanks to my husbands magic massaging
Like wowbaby said, I wouldn't bother with specific oils when something you prob have in your kitchen cupboard will do the job
xx
31/08/2010 at 13:50
I will be using olive oil xx
01/09/2010 at 06:03
Mrs KP- I liked the irony of the extra virgin olive oil lol.

Good tips here ladies thank you. I've been wondering about this!

Is it possible to do yourself? Or is it a little awkward? Not sure how hubs will feel about doing it for me!

OP xx
01/09/2010 at 07:38
Oh gosh Im not looking forward to this again! But it is definately worth doing.
OP - you can do it yourself but it is a little awkward, especially as your bump gets bigger towards the end as it's hard to reach and do properly.
Last time I used oil to start with but found it actually gave some friction and hurt a bit so we switched to using the good old lube and it worked much better.
01/09/2010 at 12:07
Can anyone explain how to do this??

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/eQzw.png

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/G93t.png

01/09/2010 at 12:20
What is perineal massage?

Preparation for delivery begins during pregnancy with the hormones Progesterone and Relaxin softening muscles and ligaments to encourage stretching, and this includes the perineal area. Perineal massage is a technique which, by encouraging blood flow to the area, increases the elasticity of the perineum for birth.

The perineum is the area of skin between your vagina and rectum which can be cut (episiotomy) or can tear during delivery. In 2006 the Cochrane Database reviewed studies on perineal massage that included 2,434 women.

As well as finding that perineal massage reduced the need for stitches, it also found that fewer women needed and episiotomy, and there was a big reduction in the number of women reporting pain 3 months after the birth.

What are the benefits?

Perineal massage has many benefits which all help to reduce trauma during birth.

It stimulates the blood supply to the perineum and helps speed the healing process after the birth
It helps prepare you for the feeling of pressure and stretching that comes as your baby's head is born
It helps to familiarise you with some of the sensations such as tingling or burning so you are less likely to tense up
It can help you to relax when you have a vaginal examination
Midwife Tania Pearce to provide expectant parents with a more personal approach to antenatal and post natal education, including the benefits of perineal massage. She says, "From my experiences as a midwife I have noticed that women who have done perineal massage are more likely to have perineums that stretch well around the baby's head.

"These women also have more control over the expulsion of the baby's head, and allow it to be born slowly. "Because they are use to the sensations they are experiencing they are not frightened of them and don't rush the birth.

Who should do it?

The Cochrane Review recommends that all women should be advised about the benefits of perineal massage so that they can make their own informed choice about whether to do it or not. Tania agrees that the techniques should be routinely explained during the antenatal period.

"A relatively easy and effective procedure can have both short term as well as long term benefits," she explains.

"During the birth, women are not frightened of the crowning head sensation, post birth they are less likely to tear and long term they are less likely to experience pain, thus having a positive impact on a woman's birth experience as well as subsequent births."

When should it not be used?

Perineal massage should be avoided if you are suffering from active herpes lesions, thrush or any other vaginal infection as massage could spread the infection and worsen the condition.

Are there any dangers?

Perineal massage is very safe for both you and you baby, although Tania does stress the need to perform it properly.

She says, "It's important that the massage is done correctly by avoiding the urinary opening so as to prevent urinary infections."

How is it done?

You should start perineal massage about 4 to 6 weeks before your due date, and while there are different ways to perform it, they generally all follow the same techniques. Tania shares the massage that she teaches at her antenatal classes:

Wash your hands.
Find a private, comfortable place and sit or lean back in a comfortable position. Some women lie on their side and bring their hand round the back. Use cushions to support your legs.
Use an unscented vegetable oil, such as sunflower oil or olive oil on your thumbs and around the perineum.
Place one or two thumbs (or fingers if you can't reach) about 1 inch (2-3cms) inside your vagina. Press downwards and to the sides at the same time. Gently and firmly keep stretching until you feel a slight burning, tingling or stinging sensation.
Hold the pressure steady at that point with your thumbs for about 2 minutes until the area becomes a little numb and you don't feel the tingling as much.
Keep pressing with your thumbs. Slowly and gently massage back and forth over the lower half of your vagina. Do this for 3-4 minutes. Remember to avoid the urinary opening. You can start with very gentle massage, increasing the pressure as sensitivity is reduced.
As you massage, pull gently outwards (forwards) on the lower part of the vagina with your thumb(s) hooked inside. This helps stretch the skin as the baby's head will stretch it during birth.

You can also ask your partner to perform the massage, especially as you near your due date and become less mobile. If the thought of vegetable oil doesn't appeal, you can also use Vitamin E oil, coconut oil or any of the specially prepared perineal massage oils that are now available.
02/09/2010 at 10:20
Bumped for Rosemary
13/12/2012 at 23:56
17/08/2013 at 21:48

Can you use bio oil?

Your say
email image