im 5 weeks pregnant and getting mild stomach cramps

10/08/2006 at 12:18
Ive just found out that im 5 weeks pregnant and im experiencing mild stomach cramps. Is this normal? Although this is my second child, I cant remember feeling these in my first pregnancy. Im also very tired/exhausted. No sickness yet, when does that kick in? Also, when will the midwife be in touch?
10/08/2006 at 13:47
Hi. It's normal, it is just your uterous stretching & accomodating the bean I'm not sure when sickness starts, it varies really - I was never actually sick but experience(d) nausea from about 8 weeks (stopped at 13 this pregnancy). You usually have to book an appointment with the midwife, generally for when you are about 8 weeks pregnant. Ask at your GP surgery
10/08/2006 at 14:18
thanks, that has certainly eased my mind. You just feel so protective, even at this early stage:\)
11/08/2006 at 09:28
I know! In my first pregnancy I was really paranoid I was going to miscarry because of the cramping, kept 'knicker-checking' LOL.

I still worried a bit this time but was more relaxed about the cramps.

Congratulations and good luck with the pregnancy :\)
13/08/2006 at 06:09
thanks alot. Its actually my second pregnancy but I dont remember getting these cramps. My daughter is now 6 and a half. I guess your mind just blocks things out. I also keep checking down below alot, just in case of any bleeding. Paranoid i guess. I just want to get to the first scan and see that everything is ok and that the baby is in the right place and ok. I havent actually had any contact from a midwife since my visit to the doctor last Tuesday to tell them im pregnant, it just feels that I have been forgotten. I know is early days but it would have been nice to have had a test at the doctors and maybe given some paperwork on dos and donts of pregnancy. Thank god for this chat room or Id be completely stressed!!! Good luck on your pregnancy, how far gone are you?:\)
29/08/2006 at 07:07
Ive just found out that im 5 weeks pregnant and im experiencing mild stomach cramps. Is this normal? Although this is my second child, I cant remember feeling these in my first pregnancy. Im also very tired/exhausted. No sickness yet, when does that kick in? Also, when will the midwife be in touch?

Me too, I think I am about 5 weeks, going to Doctors later this evening, but I've had terrible low down cramps since I did the pregnancy test and have been absolutely paranoid, my other half found some information about it which calmed me down and it is just the muscles stretching to accommodate the little baby, but you worry about every little twinge and pain, its so hard to stay calm but I realise i've got to for the sack of the baby - good luck with everything
30/08/2006 at 04:16
hi, im new to this site. here goes! im almost 5 weeks i think, i had quite painful cramps, the kind you get before your period starts ( for me the day it comes) even getting to sleep took agescos of it ! anyone get this? still getting mild ones now, but not as bad as a few days ago.also, after meals felt really uncomfortable.this has eased off . im seeing midwife on tues 5th sept, not seeing a doctor ..is this normal? will she do checks? etc? havent told anyone about pregnancy yet which is really difficult as you want someone to talk with. its a first pregnancy. Hubby great though.x
30/08/2006 at 08:40
Hi, the cramps seem quite a common thing although it took me ages to find out information about them on the web, mine are very low down and ease when i lay down and do feel like period pain, the doctor said that it sounds like uterous stretching - he has also referred me to the midwife and said that nowadays the midwife deals with the pregnancy and that the doctor only gets involved if need be, so the fact that you are booked in with midwife seems fine. I'm just monitoring my cramps at the moment - Good luck with pregnancy
30/08/2006 at 12:00
thanks for that, my cramps were low down as well. I think it must be good then to get in with the mid wife next week as what ive read on some mums to be' sites is that they have to wait ages to see anyone! I hope I get a nice mid wife, i almost started crying when the (v. nice) receptionist asked me if I was excitied about the pregnancy and if it was my 1st ( it is)... i was so nervous saying it out loud that i was pregnant to a stranger, i came over all emotional!!!!! I am very happy but weepy too. i think this is normal. I just cant imagine what this is going to be like!!!
30/08/2006 at 12:01
good luck with yours...when is the baby due?lisa & baby?
30/08/2006 at 12:15
:\)Hi yes I haven't got my midwife appointment until a couple of weeks so it is good that you are seeing her next week, yes its funny telling people like the receptionist that you are pregnant when even close family don't even know yet, its soooo hard to keep it secret from every one.

According to an online calendar I am due on 3rd May, so similar time to your baby, let me know if your cramps stop and I will do the same and ask you midwife what she thinks about them - have you had ever so painful breasts as well? Mine feel like bricks!! (Oh the joys, I suppose this pain is the easy bit)
31/08/2006 at 05:15
hi again lisa!
ill ask mid wife... mine have eased off now. Breasts feel heavy, you know I was looking at some photos of me that were taken on holiday a couple of weeks ago and i can really tell. My hubby was like nah, they look the same size. Also, iv got like a yellowey / whiteish spot on each nipple..., at night you can tell. Maybe to do with preparation for Milk?? Are you being sick at all? Let me know how you are feeeling!xxx
31/08/2006 at 05:54
My nipples are the same, I tend to roll over onto my stomach when I am sleeping and the pain keeps wakeing me up. Looking foward to the time they stop hurting. I had terrbile cramps yesterday but they aren't as bad today. I too think my body shape has changed, I normally ware tight trousers to work but see this week they have been cutting into me I dont have trousers that are bigger so I had to go and buy another pair yesterday changde into them as soon as I got back from lunch - ah the relief!!! I think I am just so bloated!! xxx
31/08/2006 at 06:06
Hi, yes i have no nipple change, i tend to get the cramps when i stand in the same place for awhile like making dinner etc. Yes the bloat is an uncomfortable feeling, my jean button is always undone, might have to upgrade to another size pair (tracky bottoms are great at home) Good luck with pregnancy Lisa x
31/08/2006 at 09:08
I think i'm getting the cramps because I am in the same seat all day I have started getting up and walking about the office, I think people in here think I'm daft what with running to the loo every 15mins too.
I was over at Dorthey Perkins at lunch they have lovely stuff for expecting mother likes us, might need to buy myself a few other things from in there.
xxx
31/08/2006 at 17:08
you know i am going around with my button undone too! i have started thikning about clothes... they seem expensive to me...can you get away with wearing larger stretch clothes? I was in Doroth P too and some of the styles now for 'normal' sized women would suit pregnant women too... you know those lonf v neck jumper etc for the winter? they have them in lovel bright colours.. to show off your bump!!
01/09/2006 at 04:38
New 2 - I recommend ASDA aswell, if your not wanting to spend a lot of money they do nice black trousers for work for ??16 which I thought was not bad.
02/09/2006 at 06:19
Hello, I am now 14 weeks and I remember having the stomach cramps which felt really uncomfortable at times. Think mine stopped around 8/9/10 weeks. I wish I had kept a diary of how I felt each day because as the pregnancy progresses, your forget what you have been feeling. The worst thing I found in early pregancy was really sore boobs and the tiredness (luckily I haven't had any sickness)! Found it difficult to sleep because I couldn't get comfortable. Again I think they stopped being sore after about 10 weeks.
Good luck with both of your pregnancies... this forum seems like a great place to ask other women in the same position as you. We are not alone!!
02/09/2006 at 15:57
Hi - I'm due on 3rd May too and getting the odd cramp too. Such a relief to find others that are having the same symptoms, and a real relief to find out that its probably just the uterus stretching - I didnt think of that! My breasts are rapidly expanding and I'm going to have to go into town for a maternity bra, and even though it seems daft and really early I'm having to go round with my button undone on my jeans!! I dont remember it being like this so early when I was pregnant before but as my daughters 5 now maybe I've just forgotten! I find I'm tearful all the time - its really embarrassing and husband thinks its hilarious, we watched Herbie the film this aftenoon and i cried all through the ending!
My GP was really helpful and referred me for a blood test for anemia (ive been really dizzy) and to see the dietician (im allergic to everything so its a nightmare) but I havent heard from the midwife yet - its weird waiting but I guess they will get round to me!
Great to find some people in the same boat! Good luck everyone xx
02/09/2006 at 17:50
Hello - you could join us in the 'I'm due on May 07' chat room on this site, I am also due on May 3rd - congratulations, in that chat room we are swapping symptoms, tips etc and we are finding it really useful. We are also finding that we are feeling bloated with jeans not fitting properly - good luck with the pregnancy
Lisa x