high white blood cells!

20/09/2007 at 13:28
Hi, i'm a little worried, had bloods taken on tuesday @ 29 weeks & had a msg from a doctor today coz i have high white blood cells, i need to take another urine sample in & he wants to listen to my heart. Has anyone else had this & is there anything to worry about?
Katie x
20/09/2007 at 13:39
From a nursing point of view, Normally a high white blood cell count indicates an infection. They are the one of the markers they look at in your bloods when testing it. I would suspect that he's asking to listen to your heart as routine and he will check your urine as if it is an infection it could possibly be a urinary tract infection (UTI) which will show up when he dips it. UTIs are common in pregnancy too. My ex SIL suffered with them alot during her pregnancy with my nephew.
I wouldn't worry too much. Hope this helps.
Gem.xx
33+6
20/09/2007 at 13:40
I work in a pathology dept at hospital and High white cell count could be a sign of infection. I would just do as he says and take in a another sample in it's probably just a minor water infection and probably nothing to worry about.
20/09/2007 at 15:46
Hi katie
I know how you feel. I have been having regular blood tests for months now and each time they have shown high white blood count. This indicates an infection but no one seems to know where the infection is and since finding out I am pregnant, i have been worrying about it.
23/09/2007 at 06:04
Hi ya, well i went to the doctors & he checked my urine which was fine so he's sent it off to the lab. He asked me if i feel ok, which i do! Then said well theres nothing to worry about!! he said it's my neutophils that are high, they are 11 & they are normally 7.5. I wait for 50mins worrying! & was in ther about 2mins & told there nothing to worry about!!!
Your say
email image