Flying at 7-8 months

26/04/2009 at 05:37

Hi ladies

Just got my BFP this week and wanted to book my holiday to Jamaica for October. Am I allowed to fly this late? Has anyone done it?
26/04/2009 at 05:51
Hi

Personally i wouldnt go that far late in pg.

You can fly without a doctors note up untill your third trimester, and then some airlines allow you to fly with a doctors note providing your pg is problem free. the problem would be travel insurance, if you werent able to fly (high bp/spd/risk of dvt etc) you would not be able to claim back the holiday as your pregnancy would be classed as a pre exsisiting condition and therefore not covered.

also if you went into pre term labour do you really fancy giving birth abroad?

but thats just me lol

xxDBxx

[Modified by: doublebubble on April 26, 2009 03:01 PM]

26/04/2009 at 06:38
Thanks DB, I think I'll wait until I get my dates before I book and then decide. The thing is we are getting married there in 2011 so we have to go before the baby is born and hubby doesn't have holiday until October.
26/04/2009 at 09:39
\Quite a lot of airlines won't let you fly past 28 weeks without a doctors note and as amandalove said - insurance can be an issue due to the risk of premature labour!

Tara 39+4
26/04/2009 at 10:41
i had this problem with my 1st i had booked a holiday to jamaica and then fell pregnant and would of been 32 weeks when flying home i spoke to the doctor and he said it was possible for me to fly but would not reccomend it as its a long flight and would be very hot and like db said if you went into labour early. I still went away we cancelled jamaica and went to fuertaventura instaed i was sooo ill in the heat it was awful squeezing into those tiny seats i personally wouldnt do it again but i do have problematic pregnancies with severe sickness so its personal preferance really good luck
claire x
38+1
26/04/2009 at 10:57
I am flying out to Portugal at 31 weeks and back at 32. It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight so I'm not too worried! I'm more worried about having to use public toilets when we are on the beach and stuff!

I need to get a docs note for the flights which shouldn't be a problem- everything is looking okay so far and preogressing normally- fingers crossed!

25+3 x

Bean 1- Ectopic Sept. 2008 Bean 2- Beautiful DD born 30/7/09 Bean 3- MC May 2011 Bean 4- Gorgeous DS born 29/6/12

26/04/2009 at 11:35
i got back from turkey three weeks ago, i flew at 30 weeks. I had to get a fit to fly letter from my doctor. i flew with thomas cook and i know that after 28 weeks you need a fit to fly letter and they wont accept anyone over 35 weeks weather they have a letter or not. mine was only a four hour flight and i really struggled to get comfy etc with a baby bump. so i really wouldnt advise a long haul flight that late in pregnancy. also your not guarnteed to get a fit to fly letter, i dont want to put a dampner on things but you dont know how your pregnancy will progress, i mean even things like high blood pressure can stop your dr giving you one and it would be such a shame to waste all that money.

XxXxX

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/fogLp1.png

26/04/2009 at 11:38
Hi,

I have never flown once I got past the 28 week mark, as the others said most airlines require you to have a doctors note. Apparantly there can be a risk of the pressure causing your waters to break. I'm not sure I would fancy going on such a long haul flight when I was that heavily pregnant either to be honest.

Is there anyway your hubby could move his holidays so you could go earlier?

Congrats on your BFP by the way! xx
28/04/2009 at 07:29
I would like to echo all previous posts.
Plus, you are a slightly increased risk of DVT.
If you do decide to book any where abroad, check your travel insurance as the majority of policies do not cover you after 25/28 weeks pregnant regardless of the airline's policy. you can buy extensions to your insurance with some companies but don't know what they charge for this. If you go to Europe and think that the E1-11 will cover you instead, be careful - what if the birth ends up as not a simple as planned?
Good luck, whatever you decide
28/04/2009 at 07:40
I just dont like the idea of flying whilst pregnant - but then I am a worry guts.

Flying in the 1st 12 weeks has been linked to mc - so that panicked me out.

I dont know the risks of flying in later pregnancy as I havent bothered to research as I dont plan to do it but personally even now at 23 weeks I get uncomfortable on the train so i would hate to be stuck on a plane!

Sorry havent been much help as I am a worrier - but check this info out :

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/flyexpert/

MKB 23+2 xxx
28/04/2009 at 07:44
i've just read all your posts and i'm panicking now!
I have a holiday to greece booked in July I will be 26 weeks when we fly.
I thought this would be quite a good time to go? as i will be able to feel the baby kicking and know everything is ok and can relax on the beach for a week before it arrives.
I have told the travel agent and she has told me I'll need a letter from the doctor/midwife so I'm going to ask about this when i see the m/w on Thursday.
Have already thought about dvt so will be wearing the delightful socks and fingers crossed it's only a four hour flight I should be ok.
I think you should speak to your m/w and see what she thinks before you book anything and agreeing with everyone else I went to Mexico last year and the long flight was a nightmare can't imagine how horrible it would be pregnant the toilet was broken and we only got one drinks trolley in 9 hours! grrrr!
Good luck whatever you decide to do xx
28/04/2009 at 07:48
Putting aside the plane journey - I just think the heat would be a nightmare aswell.....We have had a few days of heat (21 degrees haha) and I have been boiling! Can you imagine being in 25 plus degrees!!! Be my worst nightmare. I am going to be 8/9mths pregnant in Aug and I am dreading it - I am hoping for arubbish summerthis yr haha xxx
Your say
email image