extreme coughing in early pregnancy

30/09/2008 at 04:55
Hi there... I am 14 weeks 6 days and for the past week or so I have bad a really bad cold/cough... only it doesn't seem to be getting better, only worse. I couldnt sleep last night as I was kept awake all night coughing, and I am really really worried about the effect this could be having on my baby.

I bought some honey and lemon from tesco so have been drinking that, but the cough doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Has anyone else had a bad cough in early pregnancy? was your baby ok??

I will probably make a doctor appointment if it hasnt eased off by tomorrow, though for a cough I am not sure how much point there is?

I'm really worrying here, so advice wuld be much appreciated -

I just called the doctor and they have 'no appointments' i have to call back tomorrow at 2 in the afternoon to try and make one, but I am working then

Lucretia

[Modified by: Lucretia on 30 September 2008 10:32:20 ]
30/09/2008 at 05:47
i'm exactly the same at the moment, i think its the dreaded bug thats going round. are you taking regular paracetamol?

hope you start to feel better soon

30/09/2008 at 06:04
Well I just called NHS direct and the woman said that the baby should be fine, try going to pharmacy explaining symptons and see what they recommend in terms of cough syrup etc, but if it is no better by tomorrow to call back doctor and explain urgency.

oh and no not taken paracetamol, been trying to avoid it but may go get some in a bit!

[Modified by: Lucretia on September 30, 2008 11:05 AM]

30/09/2008 at 07:51
Try Buttercup Syrup, I swear by it when I have a cough (but check if its ok to have in pregnancy as i'm not 100% sure) but it works for me every time and doesnt taste to bad either. Plus it helps to ease the sore throat that a bad cough causes too !

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/NYUl.png

Mummy to 2 beautiful children and one on the way !
30/09/2008 at 08:17
Hi there,

I am 9+3 and have been suffering this dreaded bug, coughs and sore throat, went to Boots, they could only recommend Honey and Lemon Linctus, which does slightly ease the throat momentarily. Other than that drink plent of fluids.

I hope this helps.

Zoe
30/09/2008 at 08:36
thanks everyone!

ive just been and got some paracetamol, so mixed that with some hot water, honey and lemon and drinking that.

More than anything I am just worried about the stess its having on my baby!
Your say
email image