Anyone unemployed and pregnant? Benefits available??

11/12/2011 at 23:41

I'm currently travelling and am pregnant (very much wanted just quicker than anticipated!).
We are going to be heading home to have the baby and plan to be home at around 26 weeks.

Been on direct gov website and can't seem to find any info about benefits I'd be entitled as an unemployed person - they are all about people who have been working (which I have just not in the UK!).

I'll be looking for work but don't fancy my chances of finding anything to be honest.

Just wondering if anyone out there is in the same situation and how much you are getting. Hubby will be working as soon as we get home so not a major issue just I won't get any maternity pay from a job so not sure what I can get.

Thanks x

12/12/2011 at 05:40
I'm not unemployed yet but will be in two weeks. Currently working a temporary contract, covering someone else's maternity leave but contract due to finish end of year. I'm also 33 weeks pregnant and not entitled to SMP. However, I do qualify for Maternity allowance, which is ??128 per week. Have you looked into that? I'm not sure if you'll qualify as you've been out of the country but worth a try. Obviously there will also be child benefit (??82 per four weeks) and child tax credit if your joint income is below ??40k.

12/12/2011 at 06:21
Thanks Cas, have looked at MA but as I've not been working in the uk I won't qualify.

Surely I can get more than ??82 a month! My husbands brothers ex has 3 kids, has never worked and gets about ??25k a year!

Would love to work for a while before baby but don't see it happening.

Hopefully after 15 years of paying national imsurance I can get some of it back when I actually need it!

12/12/2011 at 09:48
The ??82 child benefit is a set amount and so long as you earn less than ??40k individually you can claim. This is for the first child, for two kids it goes up to about ??115 and up again with more - but everyone gets the same rate. Its the child tax credit that will change depending on your circumstances, there's also working tax credit and childcare tax credit but I'm not entitled to those so not sure how they work!

I'm sure if you're not getting money from anywhere else and your partner is not a millionaire you'll be entitled to a fair bit! There is a benefits calculator on the direct gov website, might be worth trying that!

12/12/2011 at 13:22

sorry to g/c but I work in a benefits related field so may be able to clarify some things!

If you are under 29wks you won't be able to claim anything but job seekers allowance as they expect an employer to be willing to employ you until then (not necessarily true in relatity!)

However if you have been out of the country you may have trouble claiming anything but it may well depend on how long you were absent for and the reasons for returning.

Child Benefit is paid every 4 weeks (not monthly0 to most people. Depending on your household income when baby is born you may be able to claim tax credits but they have recently really reduced the maximum income limit and I believe further reductions/reductions apply from april 2012 as well.

If you have rent and/or Council tax to pay once you are here you may be able to claim for Housing and Council Tax Benefit, depending on your income, circumstances etc at the time.

Sadly sometimes the benefits system is not fair to those who really need it. Good Luck!
12/12/2011 at 16:12
Hi Sue, remember you from kwa. Glad your pregnancy is going well

I receive MA, which obviously you won't qualify, but when i was applying i saw something about a benefit if you can't get MA. I think it is called ESA or something Support Allowance. Hope you get some help! X





12/12/2011 at 17:55
Thanks ladies!

Will just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

We own our house but are renting it out so pretty sure we won't get any housing stuff as we own a home. Would love to sell it but sadly can't afford it as it's worth less than our mortgage! All a bit of a mess really!

Not the best time to be pg but tried for 13 months when we were stable and secure and no luck so guess this is sods law!!

13/12/2011 at 13:47
I was made redundant before i fell pregnant with my son and i was just out of the time frame for claiming anything except Jobseekers until i was 29 weeks then i did not get anything at all till baby was born! then it was just child tax credits and child benefit my OH worked so apparently we didn't qualify if ur OH doesn't work u may get something else but not sure what! xxx
17/12/2011 at 10:01
I think there is a calculator on a site called which will tell you.

If your partner earns over a certain amount though there wont be much you can apply for.

I had to leave work really early with our first and had only just moved there so didn't qualify for anything at all as hubby earnt just over the amount that they had set as the limit.

Our daughter is now 3 and we have another on the way and we receive child benefit (the ??82 every 4 weeks, but that's it). We also own our home so no help with anything.

It all depends if your partner is below or over the amount that they have set, but like has been said, they have recently reduced it, so has been really difficult for alot of people lately Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

20/12/2011 at 03:33
Thanks I'll have a look at that website.

Hubby will go back and work with his brother so maybe could see if he got paid a bit less we might get a bit more! He could also go down as self employed if that helped- will investigate and see what they say.

20/12/2011 at 06:51
Hi for SMP/MA you have to have been working for 26wks with same employer to qualify.

Things to look at will be Child benefit - ??20 a week for 1st children, reduced for subsequent.
Family Tax Credits - Amount will be based upon joint household income which should be below ??40000 to qualify.
Income Support - Available whilst you & partner are out of work/seeking employment.

For further advice you can always contact your local citizens advice bureau who will be able to direct you to what's available & what you'd be entitled to.














20/12/2011 at 07:00
Hi for SMP/MA you have to have been working for 26wks with same employer to qualify.

This isn't quite right. Maternity Allowance is for when you don't qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay. You need to have worked for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before your baby is born. This includes part weeks and doesn't have to be in succession or for the same employer. It's also for those that are self employed and don't have an employer to pay their SMP.
07/05/2013 at 17:14

hi ,i,m unemployed 31 year old women ,my husband is doing full time work ,he is british citizen ,,,,,i can get any housing benefit ?plz give me answer

08/05/2013 at 19:29

Hi hun im unemployed and single mother I get housing ben, child tax credit and child benefit and JSA.

If your partner is working then you will get child tax and child benefit if hes not working you can apply for all the above xx

11/05/2013 at 13:56


You need to get a form from council office to claim for housing and council tax benefit. It depends on household income, and you may not get full amount although you may get a percentage but you won't know if you don't apply. 

If your husband is earning less that £15000 (not sure if this is the correct amount) then you may be able to have working tax credit too. You need to fill in the child tax credit part and your husband the working tax credit part (think it tells you this on the form)! Hope it helps a little!

05/11/2013 at 22:21
06/11/2013 at 06:35

I'm unemployed and get nothing at all as other half works. Used to get 12 quid a week tax credits but they even took that off me! all I get is job seekers allowance and child benefit x

DD1 born @ 38+4 on 17/07/09 @ 8:37pm 7lb 2oz, 1 hour 20 min labour

DD2 born @ 38+6 on 30/01/14 @ 1:35pm 6lb 13oz, planned c-sec due to footling breech

22/11/2013 at 17:47
Your say
email image