6/7 weeks pregnant and found a cyst

06/02/2008 at 15:54
hello, I'm about 7 weeks preg according to my dates, I had some bleeding so went to the early preg unit for a scan, baby seems fine, heartbeat detected which was fab news. The only problem is that the ultrasound picked up a luteal cyst, has anyone else had this and no of what treatment or complications there can be.

Feel such a fool for not asking more qustions but was so relieved that the baby was okay, also took my 9 month baby with me and she was tired so wanted to get her home.

any help advice you can offer will be appreciated.

thanks
Kelly
06/02/2008 at 16:04
Just found this on the internet, hope it helps.
Corpus Luteal Cysts

A corpus luteal cyst (CLC) is a very normal part of pregnancy and most women are unaware of having them. When the egg is released from the ovary at ovulation and the baby is conceived, the site of ovulation in the ovary becomes a corpus luteum cyst. For a few women this cyst can grow to the size of a golf ball (5 to 6 cms across) and cause symptoms such as quite distressing pain and sometimes a small amount of bleeding.

Most CLC's start to regress (or shrink) at around 10 weeks of pregnancy and disappear by about 16 weeks. In very rare cases, the pain becomes so severe that an operation is done to remove it, but this is unusual and most resolve on their own, with the pain gradually disappearing.

Generally an ultrasound will confirm that the cyst is causing the pain (often a low pain on one side of the abdomen), and the unborn baby is growing normally, not being affected. Some doctors will do further ultrasounds if the pain becomes more severe or to just montior the cyst's growth over a few weeks.

I have lots of cysts on my ovaries that I knew i had before falling preg, my doctor says its nothing to worry about unles they start to grow or burst.

I am 7 weeks today 2.
06/02/2008 at 17:57
yeah the cyst basically produces the BHCG hormone till the placenta takes over. It helps the pregnancy progress and allows the egg to implant. it was me having one of these that helped me find out I was pregnant. I got pains till i was about 9 weeks gone and then the cyst had gone.

Just call me Mrs Daykin
06/02/2008 at 20:00
These sorts of cysts in early pregnancy are a good thing.

I had one the size of a cricket ball on my right ovary and the pain was crippiling but my scanner said it was a good thing and when I went for another scan the following week it had got smaller and she said it was because it was feeding the pregnancy!!!!

I wouldn't worry
xx
26/02/2008 at 17:04
Ta for all your replies sorry haven't been on for a while pc playing up, bumping this up as you advice may help someone else.

Thanks again

Kelly
27/02/2008 at 07:22
Cysts are odd things! I am rather gready any spare going and I seam to get them! thats how I've started to look at them as I have had lots of different types of cysts for the past 15 years, and the doc's cant tell me why.
But at least yours has a reason and they are aware of it. You will be in good hands and the doc's will look after you
26/12/2012 at 12:45
VK
Silver member
06/12/2013 at 12:15

Hi,
I went to see my GP as i was having some mild craping, kind of like period pains. I was unsure of how many weeks pregnant i was so my GP sent me for an early scan. Today, my scan confirmed that i am 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant, we saw the baby's heart beating which we thought was a really positive sign.
The scan also found some kind of cyst or possible partial molar pregnancy which means i could have a viable pregnancy and a molar which i have been told is exceptionally rare. I have read so many threads on here stating that cysts are normal - why has my scan expressed concern with the cyst that was detected? I have been re-booked for a scan on 16th Dec which will show us whether my baby is growing healthily.
If anybody has had a similar experience i would love to hear from you.
Thanks,
V x

24/12/2013 at 05:55

I had pain last week on right ovary. Went to my OB. He did ultrasound and said there is a corpus leteum on the right ovary. It says it is common. Now I am having pregnancy symptoms: very bloated, darker areolas and veins prominent little nausea tired. But this is the first time no sore breasts and I do have lower back pain and some leg pain. He gave me a pregnancy test last week and it was negative and now all these symptoms. No period yet. I have two children already but was born with a uncornauate uterus. Wondering if I could be pregnant without sore breasts that would be the first. Not sure what to feel at this moment.

07/02/2014 at 18:34
02/09/2014 at 20:17

i had 7 weeks pregnancy but started bleeding on 30 aug  my beta hcg fell from 21 thousand to 14 thousand no sac seen,with corpus luteum  at time of u/s. in the 6th week the pregnancy symptoms were also missing..took two days complete rest and the bleeding was only present when i m passing urine with few clots today is 2 sep went for another u/s radiologist said that its corpus luteum or ectopic and anehoic cystic structure is also seen the beta hcg is dropped to 11 thousand.am very tensed that hopefull its not ectopic and that small anehoic cyst dont know wats that....pls if any one can help me....

03/09/2014 at 20:52
I had a cyst at a scan at 8wks and i'm now 32wks and it's gone. Wouldn't worry it's just hormonal and will vanish.
Your say
email image