Fallopian tube removal before IVF

02/10/2010 at 16:11
Hi Ladies,

Has anyone had their fallopian tubes removed?? Following a lap and dye we have been informed that I have severe tubal damage and that I am at high risk of ectopic pregnancy. We have been given 3months to conceive naturally and then have been advised that my tubes will need to be removed before IVF to avoid the risk of ectopic pg/infection of the embryo.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this.

Lizzy xxx
07/10/2010 at 05:28
OMG OMG OMG hun

Can not imagine what you are going through ((((((((hugs))))))
I really hope you get your BFP and you have that 2011 baby x

Mummy to Tyler age 4 & Oscar age 7weeks x
07/10/2010 at 09:15
Hello,

I have had one of my tubes removed in an emergency op due to ectopic preg. They're right in that your natural changes of an ectopic are higher but not in IVF. I am currently pg after IVF attempt one. I was worried about ectopic as there is a higher incidence in IVF as the little embies can float off where they shouldn't, but tubal factors don't increase this chance as nothing is coming down your tubes - does that make sense? So having damaged tubes does not give you a higher chance of ectopic in IVF, just the same chance as everyone.

I would get a second opinion as it is an operation and although it can be done via keyhole (laproscopy) it takes a few weeks to recover fully. I don't see why this is necessary if you're having IVF. On the other hand IVF was created originally for people like us and the sucess rates are very high!

The op is just the same as a standard laproscopy - day case usually - but you'll need to wait several months until you can start treatment.

Feel free to press my email button if you want to know anymore as I don't check this that often.

Good luck whatever you decide.

R x
19/10/2010 at 11:11
I too would get a 2nd opinion. No tubes= no possibility of conceiving naturally. Why would they give you 3 months then remove the chance of you ever conceiving naturally. Seems to go against logic. Surely monitoring you very closely or just offering IVF immediately would be a better course of action?

23/10/2010 at 02:12
I agree with getting a 2nd opinion about tubal removal.

I've had an ectopic pregnancy. After the ectopic, lap & dye x2, hsg x2 and tuboplasty.. They concluded that both tubes were several scared/damaged and had adhensions. I was able to go straight to an IVF cycle (of which worked first time). I know everyone is different but I don't see the harm in questioning the reason for the removal

I did read about hydrosalpinx http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=114.0
where ladies with tubal factor infertility needed to have their tubes tied/removed before IVF - have they spoken to you about this? It would have detected after the lap & dye..

Best of luck with your treatment.. Pray you get a bfp soon xo

Boo
36+6 x
23/10/2010 at 09:16
Thank Boo.
Im meeting with the consultant again in 5 weeks to check my diagnosis as hydropsalpinx was not mentioned following my lap and dye. I have cecided that will not have op to removed tubes unless I have this. Otherwise will go for private IVF was waiting times are currently 2 years in our area.

xxx
24/10/2010 at 17:36
Oh no 2years for a cycle?! How Many cycles does your pct allow?

We were initially told to go straight to ivf after the 1st hsg, but I was in denial and spent about 2yrs ttc naturally and having further tests/operations. So time can fly, but it depends on your finances and age as to whether you decide to wait or not.

Best of luck with the appt, let us know how it goes xx
12/01/2011 at 13:50
Hi

this is my first post so be gentle...im just recovring at the moment from having my 2nd tube removed exactly the same time last year i was rushed to hospital due to my left tube ruputured and had emergency op to be removed then 4 months later another ectopic in other tube which was treated with methotreaxate then 4 months later another ectopic which naturally went ( luckily) then december went through the hcg levels and a scan only to be told i would be admitted to hospital ther and then for operation to see if baby was in the tube hence waking up with my 2nd tube removed.

this is devasting as im only 26 and feels like i dont wanna be on this planet no more which i prob wouldnt if this wasnt for my husband. im just waiting at the moment for my first consultation for IVF but im so scared

xx
16/02/2011 at 07:58
Hi Lizzy
Bit late in answering but only just seen this thread.

I had my right fallopian tube removed in May and was told I would never conceive on my own. I was advised to go straight for IVF which I did and now I am 28 weeks on Saturday.

It was a big shock for us, but its all worked out good!
16/02/2011 at 08:02
Linzi
Just read your reply too.

Dont be scared hun. Its hard waiting for the treatment to begin and while I found the actual treatment and side effects quite difficult its not the worst thing in the world, and it feels really good to be getting on with things.

It all happened really quickly though for me. I had my tube removed May was told in June I wouldnt conceive on my own and then I went for my first consultation July and started treatment in August. I was pregnant by the end of August!

Hope you all find it easy too.
04/05/2011 at 08:35
Lizzy! i'm back! how are you hun?!?!?! come find me in LTTTC if you get this! xx
10/11/2011 at 13:48
Hi

I am new to this site. But when I read your story it really touched me as iam in a similar situation. I am being admitted next week for removal of both my tubes due to hydrosalphinx in both. I am only 27 and feel very much like you did in Jan when you found out. I was in complete denial but know I need them removed. I have been pregnant earlier this year in June but the consultant told me it was prob in the tube as miscarried.

I just feel touched to know I am not the only young women going through such heartache. I hope it woked out for you. Would like to know how you got on

Best wishes

Emma
10/11/2011 at 15:53
I had both my tubes removed in August due to hydrosalphinx which was discovered during an abandoned FET. We were advised to try for a fresh round of IVF straight away ( which we did) and I am now 5 weeks pregnant. I had 2 IVF cycles before this which didn't work possibly because of the hydrosalphinx.

I was nervous about having my tubes removed as it did remove all chances of natural conception.

Wishing you best of luck. Xx
11/11/2011 at 14:40
Hi Orangegerbera

Thankyou for your reply. Its nice to hear your success after having both your tubes removed due to hydrosalphinx. I am so scared as like you say once there gone thats any natural chance gone. How did you come to terms with it?
My tubes are being removed next FRiday

Lots and Lots of luck with your pregnancy x
13/11/2011 at 06:17
Hi EmRob27
I think the realisation that the IVf wasn't going to work without my tubes removed made me think that this was my last chance.
After surgery my consultant said that my left tube was very damaged and my right tube only passed liquid through it if it was held. That made me feel much better about it being the right choice.
I am glad that I had it done now - obviously the IVF was successful and therefore I have no regrets.
Have you had IVF before?
Wishing you the best of luck. Xx
Edited: 13/11/2011 at 12:11
13/11/2011 at 09:57
Hi Orangegerbera

Thankyou for that. No I have never had IVF before . Where I live and the clinic here do not treat women with hydrosalphinx tubes. If you want treatment you must have them removed. So in some ways I have no choice in the matter. From what I have read it seems I am doing the right thing. ITs just such a big step to take. Like you say its the only chance to have children so i'm taking it.

Lots of luck to you. I'll let you know how it goes Friday

Em x
09/12/2011 at 23:34
I think it depends on if the tube has a hydro in it or not, sometimes they can be just blocked without a hydro... A hydrosalpinx will hinder the success of IVF by 50% where as a blocked tube without a hydro wouldn't.
15/01/2012 at 20:09
Wow. This has been really fascinating to read as I'm currentlyexperiencing the exact same thing. I'm 23 and had surgery 5 times in the past 5 years. I've been trying to make the decision of whether or not to have my tubes removed to improve my chances of ivf. After reading this I shall be contacting my consultant first thing in the morning and going for the removal of my tubes. Although out of curiosity I was wondering how everybody felt during this process. Over the past 5 years I have felt completely alone with no emotional support or guidance. It's made me quite angry that I've been left to deal with this alone. I feel there needs to be more support on coming to terms with the infertility and preparing for the surgery. After all it really is a life altering thing. Has anybody else experienced this too?
16/02/2012 at 05:31
Hi Ladies
I've really found this info helpful. I've recently been told i will have to have my tubes removed due to them being blocked. Our next step will be to have IVF but they can't proceed with this until my tubes have been taken out. I was secretly hoping that they would be able to unblock them but after my consultant showed me the pictures of what they look like which i can only describe as a pair of tights full of golf balls i think the best thing would be having them removed. Which i can honestly say scares the hell out of me!!! I keep being told by my hubby to be strong and to stay positive which im finding pretty hard to be fair!!!I am lucky i know in having a great hubby but he's not the best at putting things into words!! Are any men???
We are only going to be able to have 1 chance at IVF on the nhs as my hubby has a child from a previous relationship!! Hows that fair??? Its me that has the problem not him?? :x
22/02/2012 at 09:06
Wowe I cant believe you are even entitled to one IVF attempt on the NHS if your other half already has a child! you're actually very lucky. Im in the same situation and we're not entitled to even one attempt on the NHS!!! I just have to accept that the government think that as a woman with fertility problems, I should be happy that my partner has had the opportunity to share the joy of childbirth with his ex.......its just disgusting in my opinion and one of the most heart breaking issues to deal with during this whole process. Anyway..........I had both my tubes removed last week due to hydrosalphinx, I was very reluctant about it at first as it just seemed so final that I would never be able to conceive naturally, however after my opp the surgeon showed me some images he had taken of my tubes which kinda made me realise that actually, I would never have conceived naturally!! We're planning on starting the IVF process in a couple of months, im trying to stay positive and keep visualising holding our baby for the first time, which makes me feel very excited!! Im sure everything will work out just fine in the end!