when to start boucing on birth ball?

15/02/2008 at 13:34
Hi all,

One of my friends has told me to bounce on my birthing ball. To help the baby come on time. Has any 1 done this and has it worked?

Thanks

Kelly
pen
Platinum member
15/02/2008 at 14:27
hi, you can start to bounce on a birthing ball now even if not in labour. it will help to position baby ready for labour and takes the weigth and strain off your hips and back. and when in labour you can use it to move on during contractions and also help keep pressure from the babies head on your cervix when it is dilating. it also enables you to rest but keep upright during labour. i have used a birthing ball during my last 2 labours and it was great. really helped. hope this helps.xxxx
15/02/2008 at 15:46
hia, i started as soon as i got my arse out to buy one at about 7months! i genrally found it really comfy just to sit on too when watching the tv which was great for my back! but bouncing helps the baby to engage to so it won't do any harm no matter how far along you are. happy bouncing xxx
15/02/2008 at 19:36
Hi

Using a ball also can help if your baby is lying spine to spine with you. If you lean over the ball on all 4's and wiggle your bum a bit it can help to encourage the baby to move position.

I used mine during my labour too. Id been in labour for about 30hrs & had had 2 trips to the hospital only to be sent home because i was only 1cm dilated before i started to use it. Once i had started to use it my contractions became more frequent & when i went back to the hospital i was then 4cm dilated. I really feel it helped to get things moving along
16/02/2008 at 17:30
Hi
I used my ball from 20 weeks onwards and it was an absolute godsend. My baby used to get wedged under my ribs all the time and the only way I could encourage it to move was to sit on my ball as it helps with your posture, making you sit up straight.
I sat on it every day, sometimes for hours, watching tv, bouncing away and circulating my pelvis and hips, or leant over it on all 4's. I used it in labour for about the first 6 hours too.
Well worth it for me...
xx
17/02/2008 at 14:50
hi dont want to seem stupid but is there any difference between one of those excercise balls and birthing ball, cause ive seen where to buy excercise ones and think i might be able to get one of those easier?

18/02/2008 at 11:03
my physio said that there aint much difference,, i suffered with spd most of the way wel from 17 weeks and its worked fab for that im now 31+3 and use it all the time hoping it wil help lo to move as he is laying across at the moment !!
14/05/2012 at 18:22

if i use a birthing ball at 31 weeks would it put me in labour early or is it safe to stat useing one now xx

14/05/2012 at 18:34

I WAS TOLD ABOUT 36 WEEKS TO START BOUNCING ON A BIRTHING BALL BUT I AM NOT SURE MY SELF SO IF ANYONE NOWS TEXTED ME

06/08/2012 at 19:50
I was also told not to bounce on a birthing ball until 36 weeks, although sitting on the ball just to watch tv is fine as it takes the pressure off your hips and back.
03/02/2013 at 02:28
15/04/2013 at 22:33
14/05/2013 at 15:01

I am 38 Wks pregnant & in agony as my baby is pressing on my siatic nerve. The only place I'm comfortable is bouncing on a birth ball & fingers crossed out nay speed things up a bit x

23/08/2013 at 17:07
Im 40 weeks on 2nd pregnancy, and had a sweep yeaturday..I've bin having on off contractions for the last 3 weeks and babies head is enhanced and shoulders to..bin bouncing on ball for the last two weeks!!(For the odd hour here and there each day) It actually helps to get comfy instead of sitting on a sofa.
Today I've bin having some pains so I've bin sat rocking and bouncing it really is relieving some pain..hope labour starts very soon!!!
Happy bouncing ladies ????
Your say
email image