Can you get 3 car seats in the back of a normal family car?

26/02/2008 at 07:30
Hello busy Mums out there
We're expecting our 3rd baby in August.We have a little girl who'll have just turned 4 and a little boy who'll be nearly 2 when the baby arrives. We have a fairly big family saloon car & wondered if it's possible to get 3 car seats across the back (only required when we go out as a family of 5 of course)
Our eldest is currently in a Britax Elvolva 123 Ultra Val D'sere & youngest is in a Maxi Cosi Priori, the space between them now would only fit a child's bottom in, let alone a car seat!
I know we could look at people carriers but prefer the cheaper option of 3 new car seats if it's possible, has anyone managed to do this?
Would love to hear from anyone who's cracked it!
Thanks in anticipation of saving us a fair few thousand pounds!!
26/02/2008 at 07:44
hello,

I do't have the answer to your question as we are expecting our first, but presumingly you have a proper seatbelt in the middle rather than a lap belt. I know it sounds pretty obvious but I thought I would just mention it anyway. I'm guessing that you dont like the idea of being sat in the back with the third baby being in the front then! It will be interesting to see if you can fit three in the back! xxx
26/02/2008 at 08:47
Hello
Thanks for replying, sorry for not responding sooner, just been on the pre school run!
Yes we have three normal three point seatbelts in the back but unlike the mpv/people carriers there isn't the three obvious individual seats, my bot is probably as wide as a childs seat! My hubby is slightly slimmer so he may have to go in the back or boot!!
I think a trip to Mothercare or Halfords with an empty car is required to solve this one to see if it's possible. I won't compromise the childrens safety, so if it's not possible, our new car will have to be a people carrier & hubby will have to have mine!!
If he must have his new executive car then he'll be travelling on his own on family outings!! Not the most environmetally friendly option!
26/02/2008 at 09:53
hi there. my cousin has 3 kids and owns a ford mondeo. when her third was born her youngest was 2 and a bit and her oldest 6. she had a grace 3rd stage car seat for eldest and britax duofix for younger and britax cosytot premium for youngest. they were quite snug but did fit. now that the baby in 2nd stage she got 2 graco and the duofix. hope this helps.xx
26/02/2008 at 09:54
I'm afraid that most family cars just won't fit three seats across the back. We have tried to get two adults (bottoms smaller than a car seat!) in next to a baby seat and it just doesn't work. I think that there probably are a few cars that it might work in but it would need to be something really big (BMW 7 series, Audi A8, that kind of size) What sort of car do you have now? When I got pregnant this time (my second) oh was having kittens in case it was twins and he had to get rid of his car!
26/02/2008 at 11:10
We've got a 57 plate Lexus IS220 d, which seems quite large until you fit the childrens car seats in.
Wouldn't normally be thinking of car seats just yet as I'm only 17 wks but hubby needs to order his new company car very soon and he's really hoping 3 seats will fit in my car so he doesn't have to order the practical people carrier!
Thanks for the advise on the Britax seats, will get Grandma to babysit the children, leave current car seats at home & attempt to resolve this asap!
26/02/2008 at 15:54
Gut feeling is that it won't fit. I have a Saab 93, my oh has a Audi S4 estate (same as a A4) and my dad has a huge great Saab 95 estate and we couldn't fit 1 seat and 2 adults in any of those!
03/03/2008 at 13:42
hi we have a ford c-max and can fit 2 firststage rear facing car seats and 1 high backed booster seat on the back seat. dont do it all that often but we put the oldest in the middle and the young ones either side and they do fit
hope that helps
09/03/2008 at 10:53
We had the same prob so we ended up buying a new Citroen C4 grand picasso and we love it! We did have a BMW 3 series estate and our 3 cars seats wouldn't fit, not even with a cheap slim booster...hubby nearly cried but enjoys the C4 so all is well! Citroen do 0% finance!
09/03/2008 at 11:26
Hi - I have 3 children, a 5 year old, 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. We have a vauxhall zafira and can just fit it 2 high back booster seats and a slimline britax baby carrier. I don't know what we will do when needs to change into a forward facing seat! We previously had a vauxhall vectra and could fit in 3 seats but the head height when struggling with my 2 year old was limited! We recently had a corsa when our car had a service and they fitted in that easier than the zafira!! We went to an independent car seat fitter and then shopped around for the cheaper options!!
Good luck
Sam xx
09/03/2008 at 11:26
Hi - I have 3 children, a 5 year old, 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. We have a vauxhall zafira and can just fit it 2 high back booster seats and a slimline britax baby carrier. I don't know what we will do when needs to change into a forward facing seat! We previously had a vauxhall vectra and could fit in 3 seats but the head height when struggling with my 2 year old was limited! We recently had a corsa when our car had a service and they fitted in that easier than the zafira!! We went to an independent car seat fitter and then shopped around for the cheaper options!!
Good luck
Sam xx
09/03/2008 at 17:29
Hiya i have a shitty little MG - and i fitted 3 baby seats in, it was a bit of a squueze and alot of nipped fingers (me nipped fingers) but we got them in, and that was for my 2 nephews and my son and that was 2 maxi cosi tobi car seats and a large booster seat with back!
12/03/2008 at 08:51
hi
just found out from a police officer that if you need to put 3 children in the back but u dont have room for 3 seats and like me the middle belt is a lap belt then it is allowed that u can put the oldest child, without a car seat to sit in the lapbelt but obviously thinking about there age as my oldest is 4.
If not you can put a child in a car seat in the front as long as it is not supplied with an airbag or u can turn it off?
hope this helps anyone??
17/03/2008 at 10:30
Hello, my 1st post!
My sister has 3 kids, so I asked her and she replied to me and this is her answer. She has a Ford Focus.
I had a Maxi Cosi forward facing car seat in the middle and two Graco booster seats on either side and it was a good fit, but when I changed the Maxi Cosi to another Graco they didnt fit very well. I have to keep moving the middle booster seat to get at the seat belt plugs which is difficult to do with a child sitting on it.

(Me now) I only have the 1 baby, but I have a Honda FRV, which I think is FANTASTIC. We had a mini convertable before, so didn't have a choice whether to change cars or not! So went for something really practical so don't need to think about cars if we have another baby. If I were a car sales person (which I am not) and could sell 1 car, it would be my car. It has 6 seats, 3 at the front and 3 at the back. It also has a massive boot, unlike the 7 seaters out there that if you actually use the 7 seats you practically lose the use of the boot. I am going on holiday with another new family and to save on airport parking, we are taking my car. We did a test run and managed to fit 4 adults and 2 newborns (3 adults in front seats, 1 adult in middle back and 2 babies with rear facing car seats on either side) 3 suitcases and 2 prams. We had to remove the back shelf and it's a bit of a squeeze, but it's a lot of stuff and I'm still amazed! All this room and it's about the same size as a ford focus (but the FRV is taller, so it 'looks' bigger).
I have been out before with all the parents (mine and his), 3 adults in the back and front and no complaints
19/03/2008 at 11:27
Hi all
what a common problem this is! I would just like to add that I had a merc c-class and as soon as I found out I was expecting my 2nd baby we sold our beloved sports car and bought a Range Rover, We do want more children and the thought of three children in car seats in the back still looks like quite a squeeze. I will be checking this to see if anyone comes up with the perfect car with the perfect fit.
20/03/2008 at 10:29
we are trying for our 3rd at the minute & we were in halfords a few weeks ago & Mark asked the man fitting the seats if there were any carseats that you could fit 3 across the back or any cars that they would fit to save us from having to change to a 7 seater & he said no, that sometimes you can sqeeze them in put it was his opinon that the carseats wouldnt fit properly. We dont want to take the chance on safety when the time comes coz our youngest will probably at best be in a high back booster seat so it looks like we will probably have to change our car
22/03/2008 at 18:26
the price of cars and running them is so high, maybe we should all by a bike with that trollry things you get lol!
30/04/2008 at 08:56
hello to everyone! i'm new on this-so i'll apologise if i end going off on one....!!
firstly, i have 3 children - ages 6, 3 & 7 months old. i previously had a BMW X3, and could not fit 3 child seats in this - even with me between the 2 car seats in the back (size 12 bum!), as my bum would very gently wiggle the car seats out of the way. going round corners (not even at high speed!!) was a nightmare as i wasn't supported at my shoulders, and again would push the seats out of the way.
so the hunt then started! i have found only one car that does fit 3 seats in the back - 1 x bebe confort Iseos TT, & 2x Maxi cosi Rodi XR, and thie is the Range Rover Sport. i could not get the 3 seats in a normal Range Rover. (something to do with the seat configuration!)
otherwise, you end up looking at either MPV's - the VW sharan DOES fit 3 car seats on the second row of seats, but you still get the extra 2 in the boot anyway (these do come out very easily to give you boot space, but you need to keep the seats somewhere!!) or a 7 seater 4x4!
in response to the lady who spoke to the policeman - it is only if the journey is "unexpected" that a child is allowed in a car not in a suitable car seat - you wouldnt really want to have your child fastened in with only the seatbelt or lapbelt for the shortest journey it's not safe!!.
30/04/2008 at 09:05
we have a vauxhall astra and can fit 3 baby seats in the back easily, we are expecting our first but oh has already put rubys car seat in with our 2 godsons(aged 9month and 4) in the back and there was plenty of room.xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/a8bs0/.png

30/04/2008 at 09:13
I thinkit depends on what car seats you get. We've got a nissan primera estate (very large) and have 2 Recaro seats in the back, hardly any room in between. But my father has a Mitsubish Lancer saloon (quite a bit smaller) and they've got 2 of the cheaper seats from Argos in the back and i can fit in between (im not that small) quite easily so would prob get another seat in there. Think you'd have to shop around for smaller car seats.
Edited: 06/01/2011 at 05:53