Any good babywalkers for use on carpets?

18/03/2011 at 08:22
I'm looking into babywalkers and have read some reviews on the popular ones - however most seem to say that the walkers don't work too well on carpet. We don't have a very thick carpet but wondered what would be a good walker to buy?
26/03/2011 at 05:33
I have heard that babywalkers arn't safe and actually stop babies walking development.
I found this article:-
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/safety/babywalkerexpert/
31/03/2011 at 07:43
We have the my child car walker which i find is very good on carpet and lo loves it,can also be used as a rocker
http://www.bambinodirect.co.uk/My_Child_Car_Rocker-Walker_-_Red_1833-398/version.asp

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/NEsw.png

03/04/2011 at 10:00
@mehubandbub: Surely if they werent safe then they wouldn't be sold on the highstreet????
They are not 'safe' if used for long periods. I don't intend to sit my son in the babywalker for very long periods.
My parents sat me in one when I was a baby and I turned out fine - no wonky hips or walking on my tippy-toes!

@MummyDocker24: thank you for this useful info. It looks really cool!! Hmmm, very tempted to get one for my son. Cheers!
03/04/2011 at 12:19
Gatecrashing but I have to agree with mehubandbub. I am a student podiatrist and my lecturers all agree that baby walkers delay development. My son never had one and was walking at 9 months, and I know people whose kids used them and still weren't walking unaided by 14/15 months. Babies who can't support their own bodyweight on their own should not be in them, and babies who can support their own body weight don't need to be in them. Babies learn better through tummy time which encourages the natural development of both fine and gross motor skills through crawling, pulling themselves up at a stage that is right for each individual baby. This improves their bilateral co-ordination, hand-eye co-ordination, and their shoulder girdle strength. Sometimes we just need to step back and let them do it on their own.

Podiatrists and physiotherapists are discouraged from recommending them but it is up to the parent at the end of the day whether they choose to use them. Yes, they are sold on the high street in this country, but they have been banned in Canada and even owning one can lead to a $100,000 fine or upto 6 months in jail, which is a bit extreme if they are "safe"!
Edited: 03/04/2011 at 12:20
25/10/2012 at 22:15

I believe that everything in moderation is fine, use your common sense and don't allow your baby to exceed their limits. Babywalkers have been used for many years and if there were any real disadvantages with them they would not sell. I had a baby walker when I was 4 months and my mum tells me I loved it and was always in it, I was walking at 8 1/2 months on my own and have never had any issues with my development. My bones/muscles/tendons are all fine and I was always a very sporty child. I would like to get a baby walker for my 4 month old and have heard that the Mothercare Little Circus Baby Walker is good but not sure if it is any good on carpets?  Can anyone advise??

Your say
email image