Moses basket to cotbed??

17/05/2009 at 16:36
Millie is fast outgrowing her moses now at 10 weeks!! She's been in her own room for about 3 weeks now but in her basket sat in her cotbed. I dont think she is going to last much longer in there without being really squished so I'm just looking for some tips on how to get her used to going in her cotbed as I've tried putting her in it for a couple of day time naps but she wakes up almost straight away and obviously dont want this to happen at night.

Has anyone got any advice on anything I could use to make in cosier in the cotbed as Im thinking the fact that its so much bigger than her moses basket is a bit scary for her. I've seen this thing called a safababy sleeper which halves the size of the cot but dont want to have to buy it if I can get round it!

xxx
17/05/2009 at 16:39
Hi,

I've not had this problem yet coz Niamh still in her moses basket (she's 13 weeks) but I am hopefully moving her this week. I remember someone on here saying they put the moses basket in the cot for a couple of weeks to get their LO used to it and it worked so maybe give that a try?

17/05/2009 at 16:40
You could try putting a t-shirt you've worn over the top of the sheet so she feels more secure - that worked for my first. Other than that I would say perserverance! I had a nightmare with my first till I hit on the t-shirt thing though it still took a while as she would wake up more quickly than she would in her moses basket. We've got a Stokke this time round with the smaller starter-cot and Nate loves being in it as he has more space but still feels secure. We've moved him in this week (he's 5 weeks) as he seemed to wake himself up hitting the sides of the moses basket!
Good luck!
Kathryn xx
17/05/2009 at 16:42
Just thought I'd add I dont have a cot bumper in there as dont personally want to risk it. Think this makes it look harsher in there though but really dont want to get one, plus I think they are very expensive for what they are! The one that would match my LO's nursery is either ??40 for a short one or ??50 for a longer one!!!
17/05/2009 at 16:45
I just wanted to add I agree with you on the price of cotbumpers... bloody ridiculous!!!!
I am going to get one for Niamh though coz the only way she'll fall asleep is by rubbing her nose against fabric... it's very weird and terrifies me but she seriously wont sleep any other way!
17/05/2009 at 16:45
i worried about this but evie was fine, we moved her at 6 weeks as she hated her moses and would not sleep in it. when i put her in her cot in the day she would cry and i was panicking thinking she wasnt going to sleep in the cot either. luckily the first night we put her in it, she was fine. we have a winnie the poo lightshow which is is on the side of the cot and plays lullabys and projects a show on the ceiling, evie loves it and it helps her srop off to sleep, she also has a comforter which i put under her head and she pulls it over her face and drops off to sleep no problem,
good luck it will be easier than you think! xxxxx
17/05/2009 at 16:47
Thanks for the replies. She has been in the moses basket in the cotbed ever since we moved her in there about 3 weeks ago.

Think I'll give the t-shirt idea a go and see if this helps!

Its just she's just started sleeping through 7.30pm til 6.30am so I'm loathe to upset the balance if you know what I mean! Getting use to sleep again! ha

17/05/2009 at 17:57
im sorry But did you say Your baby is in her own room??
18/05/2009 at 05:12
repeated post

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 18, 2009 12:25 PM]

im sorry But did you say Your baby is in her own room??

Yes love...........my baby, my choice!

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 18, 2009 12:23 PM]

repeated post

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 18, 2009 12:22 PM]

18/05/2009 at 07:10
When we put Frankie in her cotbed she looked really lost but I think it bothered us more than it bothered her. We have a cot bumper on but its only purpose is to keep the draft off her cos her cot is under the window. She is at the bottom of the cot so it doesnt make a difference in terms on snugness (if that makes sense). We just put her in the cotbed one night and tucked a blanket over her so she was snug and she slept fine.
18/05/2009 at 07:38
when my lo was in hospital they put him in a cot but to make him feel more secure they rolled 2 towels and made an oval shape under the sheet and put him in the middle , sorry if it abit vagued cant think of how 2 describe it!
18/05/2009 at 07:44
I know you don't really want to buy something new but I used a sleep positioner when Abby was smaller to keep her feeling cosy:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BT69RRHPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This isn't the one I have but I was given mine and don't know where it's from.

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/search.php?action=search&super=0030BRN00042~0030BRN00054~0070CAT00305&branch=&wcategory=CAT00305&catdesc=Sleep+Positioners&treecode=TRE00009

I also use it occasionally now to stop her rolling over or use the pillow part when she has a cold.

I know some people who use rolled up towels on each side of the baby but make sure you tie them into a roll so she can't pull it apart and pull it over her face.

H xx

PS Abby's been in her own room since 12 weeks but I would probably put my next one in even earlier as she slept so much better as soon as she was moved.
18/05/2009 at 07:57
Hi there, just replying to the shocked post about your baby being in its own room........

i actually put my lo in his own room at 9weeks, firstly for one week in moses basket inside cot bed, then moved straight into cot bed.

There is nothing wrong with babies going into their own room so young, esp if your bedroom is so close by and you have monitors.

I did it because i am such a light sleeper than I wasn't getting any sleep becuase i'd just lay there and listen to babies breathing! I became instantly more relaxed one he'd moved to his own room, plus hubby was up at 4.30each morning to go to work and disturbed baby.

I think you need to go with your instincts on this one, and if you feel its okay then do it, I personally don't think its healthy to have 6/7months old in same room as you, but thats my view.

with regard to making cot cosier, I was going to say bumper was understand how expensive they can be, another "debatable" one is teddies, my lo has always had a selection of fabric books and teddies at bottom of cot, nothing too plush and big tho.

you'll also be amazed how quickly baby fills the cot bed, Shea is 20months now and rapidly outgrowing it!!!
hope this helps

also you could try a pillow wedge, as my lo had bad colic and very snuffly and found a wedge helped with both
18/05/2009 at 09:12
Hey,

How about trying putting your lo down in her moses basket/cot while sleepy ut not asleep? It would be great for her to learn to settle herself to sleep and then hopefully you wouldn't have to worry of her waking up as soon as you put her in the cot?

Lisa

Mum to a toddler & baby twins
18/05/2009 at 09:20
If you want to put her down awake to settle herself I would recommend something that plays music and shines lights on the ceiling. We got a winnie the pooh one at tesco. It attaches to the side of the cot and switches itself off after ten or twenty minutes. We started using it about twelve weeks and after a bit of a natter she drops straight off.
19/05/2009 at 03:51
Thanks for all the helpful replies ladies!

We put Millie in her cotbed for the first time last night and she slept really well. She was a bit unsettled at first and we were up and down 4 times before she was fast asleep but after that she was angel all night until I could hear her murmuring on the monitor at 6.50am so went to get and recieved the biggest smiles ever so think she had a nice sleep too!!

xxx
19/05/2009 at 04:10
Forgot to say I used 3 rolled up blankets either side and in the middle of the cot tied together with hair bobbles then I put the fitted sheet over the top. Seemed to do the trick, think once she's used to it I'll take the blankets away one at a time, although might leave the one in the middle as it made the cot look a better size for her! Think I'll just move it up as she grows until she doesnt need it anymore. She looked so cosy, all tucked up in her bed!
Your say
email image