How much should an 8 month eat?

12/06/2008 at 11:52
Hi there all
It may seem a silly question but can anyone advise me on how much my little one should be eating. She is 8.5 months now and is blooming but I seem to be getting myself in a state with her feeding. She just loves her milk so I suppose I shouldn't worry but isn't a big solid eater. Roughly how many spoonfuls should she be eating at a time? She has breakfast of rusk and fruit and then 2 more solid meals a day but only seems to take a few tommee tippee spoonfuls and there is just no way I can feed her more.
Off to see my Doctor for a 9 month check up soon so will also ask her
What do u think??
She is healthy and sleeps through the night so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much
Hugs
Tracey
xxxx
12/06/2008 at 14:10
I cant really help even though jayden is nearly 8 months cause hes the total opposite, not bothered about milk at all nowadays and a total solids eater. What I did was get an empty stage 1 and stage 2 jar ( he has stage 1 at lunch and 2 at dinner) i put it into a bowl so i roughly knew how much he should be having when making him homemade food.

for lunch he will have stage 1 plus a fruit pot and at dinner a stage 2 plus a lil petit filous yog.

Hope that helps x
12/06/2008 at 14:37
Jack not fussed about milk either hes 6 month and on 3 meals breakie cereal lunch 4 cubes of fruit puree mixed with half a banana tea 6 cubes of veg with 1 cube of meat or pasta and 3x6-7oz bottles. xxx
12/06/2008 at 17:11
hi tracey!
a real dilemma!! just as an idea
isobel is 8 1/2 months (26th sept) and has:
1 x 8oz bottle (wake up)
baby cereal with approx 3oz milk (abou 2hrs after milk)
lunch - prob 1/2 7 month jar (usually equivalent as she has homemade) with yoghurt / fruit pot with drink
dinner - same again
bed 8oz bottle
between, she may have snacks - a couple of baby cheese puffs (organix), toast, rice cakes, biscuit etc

hopefully this helps

love nicki
12/06/2008 at 17:20
Kara is 9 months on Monday and is not a big drinker of milk either. She never was since she was born.

7am - 7oz bottle although she doesn't always finish it.
Between 9pm and 10pm she has either Wheetabix or Readybrek
Lunch she has either soup, custard, boiled egg etc followed by either a fruit purree or a Yoghurt
For a snack at approx 3pm I usually would give a yoghurt if she didn't get one for lunch or maybe a rusk.
Dinner she has potato, veg, gravy and depending on how much she eats I give her a few Organix Carrot sticks or sweetcorn snacks and occasionally a Baby Bear Cow and Gate Biscuit.
Then at 7.30pm she has a 7oz bottle though very rarely finished this.

Hope this helps.
Louise
12/06/2008 at 17:41
Kade is now 9 months but he has been eating the same since about 6 1/2 months and eats for lunch 1 Annabel Karmel food cube of veg & pasta with half a pot of yoghurt with some finger food like organix carrot sticks and for dinner he will have two AK food cubes of meat & veg followed by some finger food such as fruit toast etc.
Not sure how many spoonfuls are in each cube though?
I do know baby will know when they have had enough though so don't worry too much. As long as she seems healthly and happy,I'm sure your doing just fine.
12/06/2008 at 21:29
Hi Tracey Lexie will be 8 months on the 16th and she has a yoghurt and some toast for breakfast 1/2 stage 2 jar for lunch and dinner a whole stage 2 jar or same amount of food that ive made with a yoghurt or fruit pot and baby rice before bed as she loves it lol and she might have a rusk to chew on or a couple of organix carrot sticks in between meals if shes still hungry and bf on and off all morning then i offer again at 1pm and 3pm and about 3floz of cow and gate goodnight milk before bed hope this helps take care Lin

12/06/2008 at 23:26
My ittle girl sounds just like yours! She loves her milk & isn't interested in solids at all.
She will have 6-7oz milk every 3-4 hours & all I can get her to eat is a Little Stars yoghurt/framage frais at lunch, a couple of oatcakes & just a couple of spoonfuls of whatever ive made up.
I have tried her on jars of baby food from the supermarket, I bought an Annabel Karmel baby cookbook & do all the recipes from out of there, I tried eating with her but nothing. She either spits it out or just has 2 maybe 3, if Im lucky, Tommee Tippee spoonfuls.
So she probably eats less than your little girl.
She spits rusks back out & most fruits & veg. She seems to be very very fussy which is a surprise as none of us or our family are fussy eaters. As a matter of fact, my husband is a Head Chef!!!
I give her finger foods of fruit, veg, rusks, oatcakes etc which she seems to have a little bit of but mostly just plays with it & chucks it around!
But she is very healthy, very very happy, she sleeps through the night, she's gaining weight so the health visitors told me not to worry & she will eat when she's ready.
Lilly is 8 months old next week so a very similar age.
Check with your doctor when u go but, as I say, I go to get Lilly weighed every 2 weeks with the health visitors & they aren't worried one bit, so Im not. I hope that helps & puts u at ease a little!! :\)
Your say
email image