Baby's ears sticking out?

07/01/2010 at 13:32
Hi,

Another silly post from me girls! Oh the worries and joys of being a new mother!

My baby keeps catching his ears and sleeping with them folded back so they are starting to stick out a bit now. I am obsessed, yes, that is the only word for it with keeping his ears pushed back so they don't stick out any more. He just seems to catch them when moving his head. Am I the only one and is there anything I can do other than just keeping an eye on things. I guess his ears will get stronger and won't bend back as easily once he gets a bit older (he is 13 weeks).

XX
07/01/2010 at 15:31
Babies ears dont have enough cartilage in them yet to keep their shape (same as their noses) Don't worry about them sticking out permanently...that's more of an inherited/genetic thing and little you can do to prevent it.

It is normal for all babies ears to fold over. My lo is now 6 months and they no longer do it. x
09/01/2010 at 17:55
I am the same - obsessed with making sure his ears are flat!!! Poor little man. I have been promised by friends that they will flatten in time and been shown photos of friend's babies with ears that stick out when they are little, but who now have ears that are fine!!
29/11/2011 at 16:41
I've found a solution for baby's ears sticking out or baby's folded over ears: Baby's Bonnette which is a bonnet that has specifically been designed to prevent baby's ears from folding over or from sticking out. It gently holds the ears flat, fitting baby's head exactly thanks to the very stretchy knit. I've been using it for some time on my daughter who is two months and a half and I am so satisfied with it that I had to share this with you! So now, let's forget about sticking tape that irritates the skin, let's forget about the dangerous headband that compresses the skull as well as the standart bonnet that doesn't allow the scalp to breathe. I've found Baby's Bonnette on: www.babysbonnette.com
10/12/2011 at 08:52
I've been using this Baby's Bonnette for some time now and it really prevents my son's ears from folding forward while sleeping and is comfortable!
10/12/2011 at 11:29
I'd agree with the bonnet/hat idea if you're that concerned about it though it is a perfectly normal baby characteristic.

http://lb4f.lilypie.com/Jw8N.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/o3xjp1.png

10/12/2011 at 15:20
have you tried earbuddies? find their website they have quite good feedback xxx
16/07/2012 at 00:41

Ear buddies are brilliant!! If you are concerned that your baby's ears stick out give them I try. I did, and they worked really well. My daughter was 3 months old when her ears started to protrude (they were perfectly flat against her head when she as born). By the age of 5 months they were noticeably sticky out (at the top especially) and it detracted from her beautful face. As stick out ears run in my family I decided to try ear buddies, since they are a painless way to correct the problem. I kept them on her for 5 months, changing the tape every week to two weeks.

She is now almost 1, and her ear buddies have been off for 3 months. Her ears no longer point out at the top, they are not perfectly flat against her head, but are now on a regular angle.

I think anyone who says not to try it is being unfair to the child. I am sure my daughter would have been teased at some point during school over her ears, and this way she has had them corrected (painlessly) while she was so young that she won't ever even know they were any different.

10/11/2012 at 22:56
10/11/2012 at 23:07
Hi Alis,

I really want to use ear buddies on my 3 month old baby girl. Her ears stick out a bit as do mine - I've never had anything done about mine and am still considering corrective surgery now and I'm 31! I would have loved my parents to use ear buddies on me!

Despite this I feel really embarrassed that people will see that I've in essence taped my daughters ears to her head! Would a wide headband cover the tape do you think as i am not keen on a hat? I will also have to convince her dad who thinks this is a silly idea - it's not that I don't think she is perfect as she is its just i want to protect her from having a deep seated insecurity like my own and the fact there is a pain free process and she will never know seems like I would be silly not to take the opportunity...

I'm also concerned I will struggle to fit them and that I'll have to shave some of her hair How did you find this?

Thanks in advance!
10/11/2012 at 23:13
By wide headband I'm thinking something like this...

http://shop.mybabycelebration.co.uk/christening_headbands/FLHD30.html
12/11/2012 at 01:37
Sd2
Silver member
26/11/2012 at 02:44
Sd2
Silver member
26/11/2012 at 02:47
My son's bottom part of the ear curls up slightly. And I'm concerned this will just get worse with him sleeping on them folded over. Would the ear buddies be suitable? Or do they only work with problems towards top of the ear?

Also has anyone had any issues with getting doctors to supply them?
26/11/2012 at 07:13
Hi sd2,

I bought the kit myself - not sure doctors would supply... It is only for correcting problems with top part of the ear or sticky out ears though...

Maybe the baby's bonnette that was mentioned earlier in this thread might help you - looks like it would protect ears from bending over when sleeping.. Assuming the ear buddies work on my daughters ears I will probably buy one when they come off at 10 weeks to protect the new position and stop them getting folded back when she sleeps.
10/02/2013 at 00:46
10/02/2013 at 01:22
Earbuddies work for a whole range of ear problems including sticky out lobes. Follow this link to see the fitting guide for the different problems. I used ear buddies on my son from 3 months till 6 months and would recommend them
10/02/2013 at 01:23
Sorry forgot the link lol
Here it is !
http://www.davidgault.co.uk/downloads/Ear_Splinting_for_health_professionals.pdf
21/05/2013 at 15:10

Help! I've lost one splint Anyone has got a pair/ an odd one that they no longer use??? It looks we need a couple of more weeks to get the ears sorted... 

16/06/2013 at 04:46

Hello, ladies my baby girl is 7 months old and she was born with normal ears, but ever since birth I've always noticed her sleeping with her ears folded but never thought much of it, didn't think this could actually deform her ears, when she turned about 6 months i noticed her ears were starting to stick out but thought it was normal, then my mom noticed and told me a couple weeks ago,that's when I thought it was becoming serious. It is not a huge problem, but it is starting to become very noticeable and her left ear is sticking out more than the right and now I am after something that will help me. I came across the "earbuddies" but I would hate to have her ears taped for 4 months as suggested on their website and have to shave the hair where the tape goes, then I found this baby bonnette but there is no where on the site that says it could help her ears get normal again, only prevent it. If I use the bonnette every time she sleeps will it help bring her ears back to normal or only prevent it on getting worst? Please if anyone could help with this, im a fist time mom, you can imagine how desparate i am!